Alastair Seeley equalled Philip McCallen’s all-time Vauxhall International North West 200 podium record as he notched up an incredible 18th victory around the iconic Triangle course in this evening’s Superstock race.
The Carrickfergus rider got a strong start as the race got underway but it was veteran Michael Rutter who led into York on the opening lap. Rutter built a slight lead over the Tyco BMW on lap two after Seeley hit a false neutral, but the Ulsterman wasn’t to give up as he set upon chasing his elder rival down.
However, the victory was made slightly easier as Rutter’s Bathams SMT BMW retired on him at Mather’s on lap three, giving Seeley a 5 second lead.
Despite the lead, Seeley kept it pinned to clock a new lap record on lap four, lapping the 8.9 mile course in 4’22.755 (122.898mph) as he stretched the lead out to over nine seconds at the end of the penultimate lap.
Close friends Dean Harrison and Lee Johston battled it out over the race for second place, never separated by more than a few tenths. Johnston would come out on top, stretching a two second gap on Harrison on the final lap.
Ian Hutchinson pipped Martin Jessopp to fourth by 0.208 seconds with James Hillier completing the top six.
Derek Sheils finished seventh ahead of William Dunlop, with Sam West and Dan Cooper rounding out the top ten.
North West 200 – Superstock Race 1 – Results
- Alastair Seeley – Tyco BMW
- Lee Johnston – East Coast BMW +12.623
- Dean Harrison – Silicone Engineering Kawasaki +14.801
- Ian Hutchinson – Tyco BMW +32.001
- Martin Jessopp – Riders Motorcycles BMW +32.209
- James Hillier – JG Speedfit Kawasaki +49.101
- Derek Sheils – Cookstown BE Suzuki +49.486
- William Dunlop – Temple Golf Yamaha +1:11.200
- Dan Cooper – Dan Cooper Racing +1:12.802
- Sam West – PRL Worthington BMW +1:13.375
Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.