Yamaha World Superbike Team rider Marco Melandri took pole position in the final minutes of Superpole 3 at Aragon, putting in an impressive performance to relegate Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) to second on the grid.
Biaggi will start ahead of British team mate Leon Camier, who qualified third, whilst championship leader Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) completes the front row to start from fourth position on the grid.
Spaniard Checa had been dominant until Superpole 2, where he was surpassed by Biaggi. A mistake in Superpole 3, where Checa outbraked himself meant he couldn't improve on fourth position.
Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) rode consistently to qualify at the head of the second row in fifth, but had his last flying lap of Superpole 3 thwarted by a meandering Max Biaggi who strayed on to the racing line whilst heading out to practice his race start. Yamaha World Superbike rider Eugene Laverty will start from sixth, ahead of Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) and BMW Motorrad Italia rider Ayrton Badovini.
British BMW Motorrad Motorsport rider Leon Haslam, who is still recovering from injuries sustained at Misano, qualified in fourteenth place.
1. Marco Melandri Yamaha World Superbike Team 1'57.634
2. Max Biaggi Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team 1'57.790
3. Leon Camier Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team 1'58.279
4. Carlos Checa Althea Racing 1'58.472
5. Tom Sykes Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike 1'58.641
6. Eugene Laverty Yamaha World Superbike Team 1'58.756
7. Joan Lascorz Kawasaki Racing Team 1'59.194
8. Ayrton Badovini BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team 1'59.591
9. Noriyuki Haga PATA Racing Team Aprilia 1'58.566
10. Sylvain Guintoli Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing 1'58.640
11. Michel Fabrizio Team Suzuki Alstare 1'58.950
12. Mark Aitchison Team Pedercini 1'59.680
13. Jakub Smrz Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing 1'59.355
14. Leon Haslam BMW Motorrad Motorsport 1'59.367
15. Maxime Berger Supersonic Racing Team 1'59.507
16. Troy Corser BMW Motorrad Motorsport 1'59.565
17. Ruben Xaus Castrol Honda 2'00.432
18. Chris Vermeulen Kawasaki Racing Team 2'00.507
19. Roberto Rolfo Team Pedercini 2'00.678
20. Lorenzo Lanzi BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team 2'00.776