MCN Donington WSB: Biaggi on top in Q1
Published: 25 March 2011
Reigning world champion Max Biaggi set the fastest time during the first qualifying session at the MCN-backed WSB round at Donington Park today.
The veteran posted a time of 1'28.794 to better his fellow countryman Marco Melandri. Current championship leader Carlos Checa posted the third fastest time onboard the Althea Ducati.
Eugene Laverty was the highest placed Brit in fourth - a major improvement on this morning's free practice, which saw the Yamaha rider languishing down in 12th.
Local boy Leon Haslam could only manage the sixth fastest time before a technical issue forced him to retire mid way through the session. Despite posting the third fastest time this morning, Castrol Honda rider Jonathan Rea could only manage to post the 16th fastest time during qualifying.
1. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 1min 28.794s
2. Marco Melandri ITA Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 1min 28.841s
3. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1min 29.194s
4. Eugene Laverty IRL Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 1min 29.379s
5. Jakub Smrz CZE Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1min 29.397s
6. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 29.472s
7. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 29.476s
8. Ruben Xaus ESP Castrol Honda CBR1000RR 1min 29.613s
9. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1min 29.637s
10. Leon Camier GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 1min 29.639s
11. Noriyuki Haga JPN PATA Aprilia RSV-4 1min 29.814s
12. Maxime Berger FRA Supersonic Ducati 1098R 1min 29.851s
13. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki RTS ZX-10R 1min 29.860s
14. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1min 30.008s
15. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia S1000RR 1min 30.169s
16. Jonathan Rea GBR Castrol Honda CBR1000RR 1min 30.348s
17. Michel Fabrizio ITA Suzuki Alstare GSX-R1000 1min 30.383s
18. Roberto Rolfo ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 30.680s
19. Mark Aitchison AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 31.117s
20. Chris Vermeulen AUS Kawasaki RTS ZX-10R 1min 31.485s
Share and comment on this article ...