Championship leader Carlos Checa (Althea Racing Ducati) completed his consistent domination at Miller Motorsports Park to win the second World Superbike race on a considerably drier track, enabling faster lap times for the Spaniard who led from the start and finished the race with a 7.1s gap ahead of British Aprilia Alitalia rider Leon Camier.
Camier put in a strong performance to secure his best result of the season so far, finishing in front of team mate Max Biaggi who bounced back from his crash in the first race, passing Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) in lap five to take third place.
Laverty improved on his first race performance to finish fourth, with Fabrizio (Suzuki Alstare) took fifth and Melandri passed Guintoli to secure sixth. Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing team mates Guintoli and Smrz were unable to replicate their race one podium successes, finishing the second race in seventh and eighth respectively.
Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia) managed to pass Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) with four laps remaining, leaving Rea to battle with Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) for tenth place. The two Brits swapped places several times, with a persistent Sykes passing Rea in the last lap to take tenth.
The third lap of the fastest race of the season was littered with crashes; Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) and Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) crashed out of the race, whilst Rubens Xaus (Castrol Honda) fell but was able to remount to finish last.
1. Checa C ESP Althea Racing Ducati 38'22.082s
2. Camier L Aprilia Alitalia GBR +7.194s
3. Biaggi M Aprilia Alitalia ITA +8.734s
4. Laverty E IRL Yamaha World Superbike Team +14.214s
5. Fabrizio M ITA Suzuki Alstare +14.750s
6. Melandri M ITA Yamaha World Superbike Team +21.634s
7. Guintoli S FRA Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing +24.079s
8. Smrz J CZE Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing +25.688s
9. Badovini A ITA Bmw Motorrad Italia +29.621s
10. Sykes T GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike +30.681s
11. Rea J GBR Castrol Honda +31.033s
12. Lascorz J ESP Kawasaki Racing Team +37.063s
13. Haslam L GBR BMW Motorrad Motorsport +37.455s
14. Berger M FRE Supersonic Racing Team +40.509s
15. Waters J AUS Yoshimura Suzuki +40.894s
WSB Championship standings:
1. Carlos Checa - 195 points
2. Marco Melandri - 134 points
3. Max Biaggi - 133 points
4. Eugene Laverty - 109 points
5. Leon Haslam - 95 points
6. Jonathan Rea - 94 points
7. Leon Camier - 91 points
8. Michel Fabrizio - 85 points
9. Jakub Smrz - 83 points
10. Sylvain Guintoli - 54 points