Carlos Checa ended the opening day of qualifying at the top of the time sheets in Portimao today. The newly crowned world champion held off a late charge from Irishman Eugene Laverty who enjoyed one of his best first qualifying performances of the year.
Sylvan Guintoli continued to show good pace onboard his Effenbert Ducati with Castrol Honda’s Jonathan Rea also on the pace rounding out the provisional front row.
A recovering Max Biaggi impressed by setting the fifth fastest time ahead of Kawasaki pairing Joan Lascorz and Tom Sykes.
Portimao rookie Marco Melandri claimed eighth place. Leon Haslam was less than one second off Checa’s best but his time was only good enough for 13th place. Leon Camier suffered a crash in the final session and ended the day in 14th place.
Portimao - SUPERBIKE - Qualifying 1
1. Carlos ChecaDucati (Althea Racing) 1'43.579 1098R
2. Eugene LavertyYamaha YZF (Yamaha World Superbike Team) 1'43.666 R1
3. Sylvain GuintoliDucati (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) 1'43.860 1098R
4. Jonathan ReaHonda (Castrol Honda) 1'43.895 CBR1000RR
5. Max BiaggiAprilia RSV4 (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) 1'43.907 Factory
6. Joan LascorzKawasaki (Kawasaki Racing Team) 1'44.030 ZX-10R
7. Tom SykesKawasaki (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) 1'44.111 ZX-10R
8. Marco MelandriYamaha YZF (Yamaha World Superbike Team) 1'44.112 R1
9. Noriyuki HagaAprilia RSV4 (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) 1'44.144 Factory
10. Jakub SmrzDucati (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) 1'44.201 1098R
11. Ayrton BadoviniBMW (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) 1'44.278 S1000 RR
12. Mark AitchisonKawasaki (Team Pedercini) 1'44.410 ZX-10R
13. Leon HaslamBMW S1000 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 1'44.426 RR
14. Leon CamierAprilia (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) 1'44.598 RSV4 Factory
15. Troy CorserBMW S1000 (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 1'44.631 RR
16. Maxime BergerDucati (Supersonic Racing Team) 1'44.715 1098R
17. Michel FabrizioSuzuki (Team Suzuki Alstare) 1'45.243 GSX-R1000
18. Davide GiuglianoDucati (Althea Racing) 1'45.454 1098R
19. Javier ForesBMW S1000 (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) 1'46.076 RR
20. Karl MuggeridgeHonda (Castrol Honda) 1'46.116 CBR1000RR
21. Joshua WatersSuzuki (Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team) 1'46.526 GSX-R1000
22. Santiago BarraganKawasaki (Team Pedercini) 1'46.967 ZX-10R
Share and comment on this article ...