Top Brit, Sam Lowes secured a place on the provisional front row despite only completing four laps during first qualifying at the Moscow Raceway today.
The 21 year old set a best time of 1.38.179 but after crashing had to sit out the remainder of the session as it was not possible to get his bike back to the pits.
Lowes said: "We crashed and only managed to do four laps in the qualifying so it's not perfect but we've made big progress with the bike today. I did four laps on the hardest of the tyres and managed to do1:38.1, which kept me in second position, so it's not a problem. I'm looking forward to tomorrow now as I know that with this bike we can do a very good lap time as well as a very good race on Sunday, so I'm looking forward to it."
Provisional pole went to championship leader Kenan Sofuoglu onboard his Lorenzini Kawasaki. The Turkish rider enjoys a 14 point lead in the standings ahead of Lowes making the Russian race vitally important.
Third spot went to Ten Kate Honda rider Broc Parkes with Frenchman Jules Cluzel in fourth.
It was an impressive day for local hero Vladimir Leonov with the Russian rider securing fifth place onboard his Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha.
Moscow - FIM Supersport World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'37.875
2. Sam Lowes (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'38.179
3. Broc Parkes (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 1'38.398
4. Jules Cluzel (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'38.434
5. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 1'38.615
6. Gabor Talmacsi (PRORACE) Honda CBR600RR 1'38.888
7. Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'38.892
8. Sheridan Morais (Kawasaki Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'39.050
9. Valentin Debise (SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.122
10. Alex Baldolini (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 1'39.242
11. Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'39.392
12. Andrea Antonelli (Bike Service R.T.) Yamaha YZF R6 1'39.393
13. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.527
14. Mathew Scholtz (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.632
15. Joshua Day (Team GOELEVEN) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'39.775
16. Michael Vd Mark (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.842
17. Dino Lombardi (Team PATA by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 1'39.883
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 1'39.902
19. Ronan Quarmby (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.947
20. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 1'40.047
21. Jed Metcher (Rivamoto Junior Team) Yamaha YZF R6 1'40.316
22. Luca Marconi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 1'40.499
23. Florian Marino (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'40.538
24. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'40.830
25. Martin Jessopp (Riders PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'41.008
26. Dan Linfoot (MSD R-N Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'41.043
27. Balazs Nemeth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'41.113