In sunny conditions Tom Sykes set the fastest time of this morning’s warm-up session at Miller with a best time of 1.49.080. The factory Kawasaki rider topped the time sheets ahead of Carlos Checa, Marco Melandri and Max Biaggi.
Although track temperature is still low, it is expected to be much hotter for the two races which should play into the hands of the four cylinder riders as they should have more grip and choice of race tyres.
Leon Camier showed that his pace in Free practice two yesterday was no fluke, posting the fifth fastest time, but faces two tough races starting from 20th on the grid.
Brit’s Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam ended the twenty minute session in ninth and tenth places respectively with Chaz Davies in 12th and Irishman, Laverty 14th.
Early race pace is expected to be in the 1.48’s and looking at the chorological analyses of the important second free practice session the man to beat will be Carlos Checa while Jonathan Rea also looks to have impressive speed on a race tyre.
Miller - FIM Superbike World Championship - Warm Up
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'49.080
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'49.235
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'49.264
4. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'49.304
5. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'49.314
6. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'49.529
7. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1'49.591
8. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'49.606
9. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'49.675
10. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1'49.718
11. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'49.796
12. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'49.887
13. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1'50.050
14. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'50.056
15. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'50.342
16. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'50.548
17. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1'50.618
18. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1'50.670
19. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1'50.792
20. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'50.820
21. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'52.085
22. Jake Holden (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1'53.063
23. Shane Turpin (Boulder Motor Sports) Ducati 1098R 1'55.652