Kawasaki man Tom Sykes secured his maiden WSB win in dry conditions in a shortened second race at Monza today. The 27 year old who started on the front row made a blistering start and was never headed during the shortened eight lap race.
With a clear track, Sykes lapped over a second faster than his rivals and enjoyed a massive ten second lead when rain began to fall at the Italian circuit and the race was red-flagged.
Sykes said: “I’ve finally done it and it feels good after all the commotion today. There were damp patches around the track, but had such a good feeling from the bike I was able to get my head down from the start. “
Unfortunately for Sykes because the race was declared at half race distance he was only awarded half points for the win.
Second place went to Leon Haslam who rode brilliantly after qualifying in 14th place. He finished ahead of last years double winner Eugene Laverty who secured his second third place podium in a row.
Marco Melandri, Max Biaggi, Jonathan Rea and Carlos Ceca were all in the battle for second position and were covered by just over one second at the finish.
Monza - FIM Superbike World Championship - Race 2
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 14'08.800
2. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 14'18.509
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 14'18.919
4. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 14'19.094
5. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 14'19.327
6. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 14'19.438
7. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 14'19.699
8. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 14'20.995
9. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 14'21.999
10. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 14'28.172
11. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 14'33.351
12. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 14'33.455
13. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 14'33.462
14. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 14'33.468
15. Leon Camier (Crescent Fixi Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 14'33.610
16. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 14'33.735
17. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 14'34.078
NS. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR
NS. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R
NS. Sergio Gadea (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R
NS. Mark Aitchison (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR