Eugene Laverty concluded his 2012 season in the best possible way by topping the time sheets at the end of his three day test in Jerez.
The factory Aprilia rider set a stunning 1.40.185 to topple early pace setter Tom Sykes on his Kawasaki.
Laverty also had the accolade of outpacing a host of MotoGP riders including the factory Ducati squad although the WSB men did have the advantage of it being the end of a three day test where as for the MotoGP riders it was only their first day of testing.
Sykes concluded his final test of 2012 in second spot ahead of new Aprilia rider Michel Fabrizio. Sylvain Guintoli concluded his testing with the fourth fastest time and was later confirmed by Aprilia that he will ride for the factory team alongside Laverty as a replacement for world champion Max Biaggi.
Loris Baz ended his first year with the factory Kawasaki squad in fifth place, 1.1s behind his team-mate, Sykes.
The factory GoldBet BMW and Alstare Ducati teams completed their first day of testing on Wednesday and will continue to test until Friday.
As a result of it being their first day they were off the pace of Laverty and co with Melandri in 6th, Checa 8th, Davies 9th and Badovini 11th
1. Laverty (Aprilia) 1'40"185 (80 laps);
2. Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'40"400 (55);
3. Fabrizio (Aprilia) 1'40"956 (60);
4. Guintoli (Aprilia) 1'41"239 (60);
5. Baz (Kawasaki) 1'41"500 (45);
6. Melandri (BMW) 1'41"800 (82);
7. Hofmann (Aprilia) 1'42"103 (33);
8. Checa (Ducati) 1'43"089 (44);
9. Davies (BMW) 1'43"400 (47);
10. Neukirchner (Ducati) 1'43"613 (48);
11. Badovini (Ducati) 1'43"613 (38).