WSS Aragon: Lowes in control on opening day at Aragon, but expecting big race battle
Published: 12 April 2013
Sam Lowes dominated the opening qualifying session at Aragon today, despite still suffering the effects of a badly sprained left wrist sustained in testing last week.
The Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha rider set a lap time that was not only 0.463s clear of his nearest rival, but a time faster than the outright best Supersport lap of the Aragon circuit.
Speaking to MCN, Lowes said: “Even though I crashed in testing I still did some laps at the track so the bike is feeling pretty good. We still need to dial it in though and while the front feels good we need to work on the rear shock and also the traction control because we’re getting too much of a power cut as I pick the bike up and drive out of the corner.
“I’m feeling confident and know that I could go faster, but I’m expecting my rivals to do the same and for us all to have a big battle on Sunday.”
PTR Honda rider Sheridan Morais claimed second spot ahead of reigning Superstock 600 champion Michael van der Mark and Supersport champion Kenan Sofuoglu.
Kawasaki DMC rider Kev Coghlan had his best laps interrupted by traffic but was still able to post the sixth fastest time behind Luca Scassa.
Irishman Jack Kennedy claimed 14th with Mv Agusta rider Christian Iddon in 26th.
Aragon - FIM Supersport World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 2'01.930
2. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 2'02.393
3. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 2'02.524
4. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'02.557
5. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'02.738
6. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'03.018
7. Vladimir Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'03.030
8. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'03.076
9. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 2'03.083
10. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'03.532
11. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 2'03.583
12. Gabor Talmacsi (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR 2'03.660
13. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'03.862
14. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 2'03.936
15. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 2'03.993
16. Andrea Antonelli (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'04.018
17. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 2'04.239
18. Alex Baldolini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 2'04.312
19. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 2'04.407
20. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 2'04.690
21. Stefano Cruciani (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 2'04.698
22. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 2'04.917
23. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 2'05.088
24. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 2'05.400
25. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 2'05.541
26. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 2'05.772
27. Roberto Tamburini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 2'06.076
28. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 2'06.112
29. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 2'06.214
30. Luca Salvadori (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 2'06.446
31. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 2'06.594
32. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 2'06.667
33. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Triumph 675 R 2'07.587
34. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 2'08.914
35. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 2'11.102
Share and comment on this article ...