2002 World Champion Fabien Foret rode to a win in the WSS race at Motorland Aragon following a series of crashes and DNFs among his fellow title favourites.
A mistake on the first lap saw Sofuoglu go wide, allowing Sam Lowes to push forward to take the lead from Dutch youth Michael van der Mark on the Pata Honda.
A further mistake from Sofuoglu on the second lap allowed Lowes, who pushed past van der Mark aside, the Dutchman, and Kawasaki rider Riccardo Russo to make a small break, while Sofuoglu retired to the pits.
By lap four Lowes had pulled away, leaving the battle for second to Scot Kev Coghlan and van der Mark and Russo, chased by veteran Fabien Foret and the MV Agusta of Luca Scassa.
A mistake by Lowes on lap 7 on turn one dropped him back to fourth behind Coghlan (leading by two seconds), Foret and van der Mark, with Lowes almost 3.5 seconds off the leaders.
On lap 8, Coghlan crashed out of the lead, lowsiding his DMC Kawasaki and allowing Foret to lead by over two and a half seconds as Lowes’ advance was slowed by a battle with van der Mark.
By half distance Dubliner Jack Kennedy was running in eleventh, in a group battling for every place up to seventh.
A series of quick laps by Lowes allowed him to pull in Foret again, closing the gap to only 0.2 seconds by lap 12, before using the superior speed of his Yamaha to power past on the back straight with five laps to go.
However, the race was far from over, with a mechanical problem jinxing Lowes on the last lap, with the gearbox appearing to go on his bike, allowing the 2002 champion to take his 16th race win with ease.
Jack Kennedy managed to come out top from his group, finishing a credible seventh in his second WSS race, as Florian Marino and Raffaele De Rosa crashed out in front of him.
Coghlan managed to remount and salvage three points in thirteenth, while Christian Iddon retired to the pits on the MV Agusta on the second lap.
Aragon - FIM Supersport World Championship - Race
1. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'10.286
2. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37'16.881
3. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'20.195
4. Andrea Antonelli (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'20.396
5. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'22.236
6. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37'22.944
7. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 37'26.391
8. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 37'27.086
9. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 37'36.320
10. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 37'39.392
11. Alex Baldolini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 37'39.582
12. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 37'39.622
13. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'55.843
14. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 37'57.938
15. Roberto Tamburini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38'06.234
16. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 38'06.589
17. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 38'07.031
18. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 38'07.522
19. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 38'50.405
20. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 38'23.137
21. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38'34.084
RT. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 35'04.155
RT. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 36'02.165
RT. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 33'16.193
RT. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 33'16.595
RT. Vladimir Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 28'47.879
RT. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 25'09.835
RT. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Triumph 675 R 23'22.921
RT. Luca Salvadori (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 11'01.858
RT. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 11'44.904
RT. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 5'00.143
RT. Gabor Talmacsi (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR
RT. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR
RT. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR