A determined Laverty knew that he had to win race two at Magny Cours if he were to stand any chance of snatching the World Superbike Championship away from the race one winner, Tom Sykes.
With Sykes continuing his earlier race pace however, taking a 1.5 second lead by only the third lap, it was always going to be a tough ask of the Aprilia racing teams' British-based, Irishman.
Indeed, as the race continued and with Guintoli battling with his teammate for second place on lap ten, it was going to take either a miraculous riding session or severe mechanical problems to prevent Sykes from claiming his second win of the day and a thirty-four point championship lead into Jerez.
Neither circumstance arose and Tom Sykes took his third double win of the season, setting up the perfect opportunity to take the World Superbike crown in two week's time.
Magny-Cours - FIM Superbike World Championship - Race 2
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'36.149
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'47.240
3. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'47.486
4. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'59.157
5. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 35'01.873
6. Vincent Philippe (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 35'10.911
7. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 35'12.368
8. Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 35'17.106
9. Lorenzo Lanzi (Mesaroli Transports A.S.) Ducati 1098R 35'19.862
10. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 35'29.337
11. David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'32.400
12. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'40.197
13. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'40.392
14. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 35'46.495
15. Fabrizio Lai (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 36'05.590
RT. Michel Fabrizio (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 21'48.713
RT. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 20'40.188
RT. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 11'45.088
RT. Michele Pirro (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 3'24.776