Ad closing in seconds....

APRILIA RSV1000 (1998-2003) Review

Published: 22 November 2006

"Why buy a Ducati when you could have an Mille?"

APRILIA RSV1000  (1998-2003)

"Why buy a Ducati when you could have an Mille?"

Why buy a Ducati when you could have an Aprilia RSV1000 Mille? OK, the name may not be as famous but the Mille is a superb superbike with a surprisingly reasonable price tag. Looks are distinctive, reliability is pretty good it’s just unfortunate that dealer back up can be patchy.

When you sit on the Aprilia RSV1000 Mille the suspension barely compresses and you realize it’s 100% sports motorcycle. It’s a delight on fast, smooth roads, tipping easily into corners and firing out with a pleasant balance of stability and maneuverability. A bit awkward in town, on bumpy surfaces or wet B-roads. Excellent brakes.

The Aprilia RSV1000 Mille has a compact 60 degree V-twin with a dry sump for extra rigidity and constant lubrication, even when wheelying. At low revs the power’s beefy if slightly lumpy and awkward in town. Dip into the midrange and it’s muscular and really gets the motorcycle shifting fast. Top end power’s immense but not insane like the latest 1000cc Japanese fours.

The Aprilia RSV1000 Mille's reliability’s better than Ducatis of the same age – but not as good as the Japanese. The engine can clock up high miles without any problems but electrical niggles aren’t unheard of. Aprilia dealers are few and far between – and some are better than others. Parts supply can be excruciatingly slow.

Very competitive new prices and now on the used market the Aprilia RSV1000 Mille can be a bargain. Combine that with the fact they’re surprisingly durable for an Italian sports motorcycle, insurance is a group lower than many competitors and servicing’s not too extortionate and a clean, used Aprilia RSV1000 Mille looks like great value. Find an Aprilia RSV1000 Mille for sale.

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Aprilia RSV1000 Mille's extremely comprehensive clocks and an effective headlight are nice touches on a motorcycle that could be pared to the bone. Comfort clearly wasn’t a primary concern for the designers but it’s ok for one person over moderate distances. Compare and buy parts for the Aprilia RSV in the MCN Shop.

Year introduced 1998
Year discontinued 2003
Original price -
1/4-mile acceleration 11 secs
Engine type 998cc four-stroke 60-degree V-twin
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression, ride height
Front brake Twin 320mm discs

1998: Aprilia RSV1000 Mille launched.
2001: Major update including more power and new bodywork.
2003: Suspension, brakes and gearbox uprated. Burnished steel exhaust and modified plastics on rear section.

Aprilia RSV-R: High spec version of the RSV1000 Mille. Single seat, superior suspension, lightweight Oz wheels.
Aprilia RSV Mille SP: Ultra-high spec platform for race bikes. Adjustable frame, Ohlins suspension, carbon bodywork, alloy tank, sand cast cases – and a £23K price tag.

15 owners have reviewed their APRILIA RSV1000 (1998-2003) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your APRILIA RSV1000 (1998-2003)

Stunning track-bike (track review only)

24 December 2018 by Neo

The best bike I ever owned so far. (This is a track-only review) The bike turns in strangely to be honest, not as my 750R, but the front feel is absolutely stunning, braking performance top notch, and rear grip impressive even with a tad hard suspension setting. When you get to know the bike and understands how it works (took me 2 trackdays), you enter corners with bullet speed and get out of them even faster. As it’s my first v-twin I was concerned about throttle input coming from the lazy 750, but that’s ridiculous as the Mille is smoother and more precise than it! Riding position is just about excellent from stock, for a 1.80m tall guy.

Ride quality is superb, front feel is impressive and the bike always want you to go further. Front wheel is always wobbling (despite the Ohlins damper) on hard corner exits but the bike is so stable it doesn’t really do much except that you feel like a World SBK pilot. Comfortable enough compared to the 750r or my 2 strokes.
Limiter is a bit low considering I’m used to high-revving engines, so at first it’s hard to find the sweet spot for shifting, but you soon will love being able to exit corners at 6000rpm without having to clutch hard or feel like the pistons are knocking your bum! Engine is super smooth and love to take its revs. Rev-limiter is sounding perfect even if I don’t hit it often. Feels torquey a lot but I’m running a faster gear-ratio than stock.
Never had any breakdown, one hard Highside fall, but it only broke the brake lever and bent the peg-plate. Engine and Ohlins’ are like new, frame just took a little mark behind brake pedal. As for fairings, they were oem ones and didn’t break except an air duct, so they’re really great built!
Drinks a little bit of oil, but overall maintenance is similar to my 750 or less expensive. Coming from 2 strokes I can’t gauge really accurately running costs, as it feels like I’m not even servicing it, not being in the engine every weeks.
Stock Ohlin’s suspensions are excellent, I also had a Arrow Racing exhaust and some stainless steel pipes with a Haga chip fitted when I bought it, sound is stunning and bike runs maybe just a tad rich. Diablo Superbikes are excellent tyres but I assume slightly harder structure Dunlop’s might be a better choice that I’ll experiment this season!

The bike was bought from a friend for 2500€ (around $3000 I assume), which is much under common prices here.

Italian Thoroughbred

30 March 2018 by ijinak

Best bike I've owned. Rode from Scotland to Venice with throwover luggage. Comfort was fine.

Brilliant out of town, 5 hours no problem. Lumpy engine and heavy clutch makes town driving a chore. Brakes good, but they were going to charge me 430 quid for a new disc when one got warped!
Fantastic!
Solenoid failed when I had a minor spill
Parts very expensive and excruciatingly slow to be delivered
Didn't add any accessories. The menu on the dash was a pain to use, but I liked that you could switch from MPH to KPH easily

Bought new from a dealer for list price or thereabouts

19 September 2016 by James Stone

Owned a 2002 Aprilia RSV-R which includes the Ohlins suspension, carbon trims & OZ wheels as standard. Over all a really good bike but never felt the urge to just go riding for the sake of it sadly.. I had the full Arrow system that sounded like thunder at any rpm but the thought of touching any traffic would soon take the fun out of the ride with its jerky power pick up that required constant clutch slip.. short video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGgU9rQ4Dp8

The ohlins suspension & Brembo brakes are up there with the best even with the newer stuff out on the market, no complaints there!
Loads of torque that was great for front wheel in the air action but when pressing on it just felt like anything above 9,000 rpm was really just making noise for the sake of it..
Never had any breakdowns or dramas to report, when buying I was advised heavily to thoroughly check the sprag clutch and never to use any throttle when starting as the result would be big repair bills.
Really good on fuel and general service items can be found easily enough online.
Good for the age, lap timer, adjustable shift light etc, standard sport bike dash really.

Look for a well cared example with no nasty noises on start up, fork seals go often with most spending there life on the rear wheel, have a google on checking the oil level as its a little more complicated with a dry sump set up.

2003 RSV Mille R

06 April 2009 by carl27

My 3rd big bike after owning a RS250 and an '07 ZX6R, and boy am I glad to be back on an aprilia. I found the ZX6R handled superbly and it had more than enough power for me, it's comfort however made it nearly impossible to ride for more than an hour or two. I had a few goes on a Mille last year and knew it had everything I needed, so in Feb I got myself a 2003 RSVR with carbon everwhere and Ohlins suspension/steering damper, OZ wheels, spare race pipe/chip etc with 8,000m on the clock for £3.5k. It's alot of bike for that money! The Mille is a little large by modern standards and I'm sure a modern 600 with a fair rider, let alone a new breed 1000, could sithe past a novice (such as me)on a Mille. I however got the Mille based on it's real world ability. After my previous bikes the Mille feels unrushed and kind of lazy in the way you can role through the corners, the setup on mine does feel stiff (the previous owner could well of had a tinker) but it never loses it's composure and the grunt out of the corners is superb (even in too high a gear). I'm still getting used to the bike (and am missing the Kwak's gear position display) but so far so good, I've got a feeling this ones going to be in my garage for a very long time. Now to find a tidier exhaust...

RSVR 2002

30 March 2009 by Carlo19

This is the best handling bike I have ever owned. Its much better than my 2005 cbr600rr. The quality of this bike is up to par with the jap bikes as well. I would recomend this bike to every one. Get one of these now!

new convert

16 September 2008 by rsv mille2000

after many years on big il4's i really fancied a change & the opertunity came to buy this mille at a very good price. At first I found it top heavy & the engine felt agriculteral at best, especially in town & I began to wonder if I had made a mistake after my smooth jap il4's. I have had it for 3 months now & it has really grown on me & now I can not see me going back to the 4's. The sheer grunt punches you out of corners while the CT2's keep perfect traction at extreme lean. The engine really gets going from 4k & will fly round to the 10k mark with ease. The front brake is as you would expect from Brembo on a sport bike, strong & with plenty of feel & feed back, the rear brake, it has to be said, is all but pointless as soon as the bike heats up. The digital clocks, while now a bit dated in looks, have a small array of gadjets like top speed, ave speed, temp, battery voltage & even a lap timer! Overall, once you have got your head tuned into v-twin mode you have a machine that can give great satisfaction & thrills without the dedication of a racer. It is something that you must allow time for though if you are not used to a big twin.

V-Twins Rule

19 June 2008 by weatie

I had two of these a 99 RSV (2000-2002) and a 2002 RSVR (2002-2004) and they were both wicked. Have to say the R version was loads better with the ohlins kit etc, and in Yellow was always turning heads everywhere I went. I went abroad a couple of times on the Yellow RSVR and every time I stopped a services to refuel people would come over and look at it. Went on to a jap four after for a couple of years, but now gone back to a v-twin again and now have the 2007 model.

Addictive, involving and frustrating

10 June 2008 by bigbadmad

This is my first litre bike and was bought by me as a way into 1000cc machines without the insurance bankrupting me. I came from a background and love of inline 4s. At first I thought this was a terrible mistake but as time goes on I've grown to love this bike more and more. Bad points: • It takes time for an iL4 rider to learn how to ride it and what gear to be in. • No Fuel gauge, just a warning light. • Eats batteries - buy the best battery you can afford and keep it hooked up to an optimate. • Over geared - Get a 16 (or even 15) tooth front sprocket. • Hard work in town - What do you expect it's a big twin, it was always going to need lots of clutch feathering in slow traffic. • Clocks look like they were stolen from British Leyland... • Quite a thirsty bike when doing stop/start riding, sometimes the light comes on (with 4/5 litres left) at 90 miles. • Burns oil. • Starter sprag clutch is real weak point and is very expensive to replace. • It shakes bolts and screws lose with the big V-twin vibrations. • The rear brake master cylinder gets cooked by the down pipes and the brake slowly stops working. • Very tall - not for the stumpy of leg. • Pain in the arse to check the oil. Good points: • Very economical at long distance motorway work - Mine returns about 50mpg sat at 90mph. • Surprisingly comfortable, I've done a 620 mile day from the south of France on mine. • The drive out of corners is deeply, deeply addictive and flatters your riding making you look faster than you are. • The handling on sweeping A roads is very easy and stable. For a big bike it's pretty nimble. I've had it shake it's bars when it's hit cat's eyes etc. but it hasn't slapped despite provocation. • Clocks are incredibly comprehensive if you can figure out how they work • Italian exotica carries a surprising amount of kudos with fellow bikers. I'm always surprised at how much attention my Mille gets. • Even on the standard can it sounds great. • There are loads of bling parts available for RSVs and they are quite easy to tune for even more grunt. • An active and friendly online community. • Once I'd dealt with the awful maintenance of it's past owner mine has been very reliable. • Very handy under seat storage, I've got half an RAC van under there. • That big 'ol fairing is great for distance work and weather protection, this really is a sports bike that will tour. • The lights - especially the high beams - are excellent. • The front brakes are the best I've ever used - Braided steel lines attached to four pad, goldline Brembos! Single finger pressure is all that's needed to stop. • Very tall - good for the bigger riders. • Decent pillion seat, not like the brillo pad most bikes have. I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this bike until I took it on some long distance, high paced ride outs with riders who are much more experienced than I am. It was so good on these ride outs that I'm properly impressed by this machine. It flattered my riding and cosseted me through long days in the saddle. It kept up with or kept in sight some very quick machines - New Fireblade, ZZR1400, 'Busa etc. All the good points about the Mille have really impressed me, it's a real rider's machine and the bad points have faded in my estimation. You get a hell of a lot of bike for your money when you buy an RSV. Sure there are bikes out there with much more BHP/top speed but for real world riding this bike will stay with pretty much anything. Try one, you might like it.

Addictive, involving and frustrating

10 June 2008 by Anonymous

RSV Factory

28 October 2007 by norris

I bought my 06 model at 3 months old with just over a thousand miles showing. I've had every Jap sports bike R1/Blade/ZX/GSXR etc and after 30 years of inline fours they were all beginning to feel the same, plus the latest models are to be honest getting too small for a 6ft 2" 15 stone man who has a pillion 99% of the time. I've now owned the RSV for 12 months and have clocked up 8000 miles..Great bike that needs time to grow on you as its so different from the inline fours. Nothing has broken gone wrong in that time. I've had it serviced once (6250 mile intervals) I find it very comfortable for long journeys with plenty of room to move around, I was crippled on my last R1 because of it being so small and cramped..One niggle though is the fuel consumption, the bike does get ridden hard but it drinks fuel at an alarming rate. Overall though I've been so impressed I would by another when the time comes to change. One word about spares..Managed to drop mine while putting it on the paddock stand, snapping the mirror off. Got one over the counter at my local dealer (Cobb & Jagger)and a brake lever off ebay (£8.00 as apposed to £62.00)

Awesome!

17 June 2007 by Cheeky-Monkey

Acquired a mint 2002 Mille in April 2007 with only 3300 miles on the clock. Awesome bike! Love the looks, the stonking engine, and the thumping sound it makes everytime I open up the throttle. Beautiful.... I always wanted a V-Twin and no regrets at all trading up to this from my last bike which was an R6. The R6 was extremely good fun but the RSV is in a different league....If you've ever pondered about an RSV...go try one...you'll be smiling for a while!

Italian exotica with looks to die for

14 February 2006 by rluddington1

Bought this fine example of a 2002 Mille last September after a series of Jap inline fours and Honda V4's. At first I was very worried about reliability, but did my homework and could't find a bad word to be said about the bike. 6 months later and the reviews were correct. Not a single thing has gone wrong with the bike and she starts first time, even after being laid up for several weeks, mid winter. I have treated myself to a Full-on race pipe (sounds incredible) and have carried out a derestriction mod' and she really flies. The bike already came with a 16T front sprocket which aids town riding but you still suffer in town from aching wrists, well with my weight you do! Engine and all alloy frame are a masterpiece of engineering and that rear swinger is plain gorgeous. Strengths: Value for money (600cc Jap money), Handling, Build quality. Weaknesses: Ins group 17, Prices falling (Good news for buyers), Parts delays (took 3 weeks to get a couple of replacement bolts that had corroded).

Great bike!

09 January 2006 by gm0185

Just traded up from an RS250, and I loved that but what a change, the acceleration alone surprised me not to mention the engine braking, but the thrills remain unchanged, and my clutch hand isn't sore anymore. I highly recommend the Mille, it just pulls and pulls and pulls. Strengths: Value, Comfort, handling and style and genuine wow factor! Weaknesses: Highish riding position, stiff clutch and a bit of a notchy gear box, and what's with the hole in the hugger, just baffles me that one! But these are minor gripes.

A practical Italian superbike

04 December 2005 by tuxracer

I swapped my 1200 Bandit for the Mille back in September as I was bored of the Suzuki. It was fast, cheap to run and fun but just lacked that certain something. Fell in love with this one on sight and after a quick test ride there was no going back. Its special in a way the Jap bikes will never be. Sure its not as fast as the latest tackle but every time you go out it makes you smile. It handles very well, goes like well and sounds brilliant with an aftermarket can. It's even reliable and most servicing jobs are a doddle if you are reasonably competent with the spanners. The only problem I have had since I got the bike is a failed clutch thrust bearing. Cost £7.50 in parts and half an hour to change. Ironicaly its also more comfy on the open road than the Bandit was, sore wrists in town are the only down side but I can live with that.Build quality also appears to be good, certainly much better than a lot of the Jap bikes. The only sign of corrosion on my one is the disc bolts. Strengths: Performance/handling, looks, practicality and build quality. Weaknesses: Hard work in town

Superb confidence-boosting machine

19 January 2005 by alecnicholson

Power and handling inspire confidence, a steering damper is a must and well worth the price. Smooth power delivery except for a small glitch between 3 and 4 thou. Strengths: Power and handling. Weaknesses: Steering damper not standard on R model, sidestand gives a few worrying moments on anything but a flat surface.

• Aprilia RSV1000R
  • Aprilia RSV1000 Mille motorcycle review - Brakes
  • Aprilia RSV1000 Mille motorcycle review - Exhaust
  • Aprilia RSV1000 Mille motorcycle review - Instruments
  • Aprilia RSV1000 Mille motorcycle review - Brakes
All APRILIA RSV1000 for sale
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)