MV-AGUSTA BRUTALE 800 DRAGSTER RR (2014 - 2017) Review

At a glance

Owners' reliability rating: 4.2 out of 5 (4.2/5)
Annual servicing cost: £150
Power: 140 bhp
Seat height: Medium (31.9 in / 811 mm)
Weight: Low (370 lbs / 168 kg)

Prices

New N/A
Used £9,000

Overall rating

Next up: Ride & brakes
4 out of 5 (4/5)

Yes this blinged-up version of the Dragster variant of MV’s 800 Brutale is expensive, but then it’s truly special, too. There are cheaper bikes, more manageable bikes, even faster bikes in the same category but this one is special. And yes, it’s not 100% perfect and certainly not for everyone, but just look at it! And it goes as well as it looks!

Ride quality & brakes

Next up: Engine
4 out of 5 (4/5)

If the power delivery is a little aggressive, then so is thew Dragster RR’s handling. Twitchy is the word. MV is obviously aware of this and have added a top yoke steering damper. There was never an alarming almighty slap, but I had more than a few twitches on the narrow bumpy Italian roads. The wheelbase is short, it’s a light bike with a firm set up and lots of power, it was always going to be a little lively.

My only other gripe was the ride is on the firm side. I got thrown out of the seat on the odd occasion, the bars shake a little and you get hammered by the hard forks which aren’t absorbing the huge bumps. In MVs’ defence the roads were really bad and I was hitting them hard like a Greyhound that had just been released from the trap, I simply couldn’t ride slowly. On smoother roads it worked far better.

Next up: Reliability
4 out of 5 (4/5)

MV have upped the triple’s performance from 125bhp to 140bhp by increasing the size of the air-box, improving the exhaust flow but more importantly revising the fuelling, which now with two twin injectors per cylinder. They’ve also tried to smooth out the power delivery amd make the torque more linear, which was a criticism of the old bike and they’ve done just that.

The old 800 had bags of attitude but was hard work and aggressive. But this engine is a peach. Fire up the 800cc triple and there’s a real rasp. It sounds lovely, revving quickly with aggression. Combine that with clutchless gear changes and intoxicating noise it’s hard not to thrash it. You end up attacking roads not riding them.

Reliability & build quality

Next up: Value
5 out of 5 (5/5)

These pictures don’t really do the bike justice, you have to see it in the flesh to get the full impact; but be warned you’ll want one. The finish is outstanding, the paintwork looks handcrafted, the top yoke is lovely. Imagine casting an admiring glance over this MV every time you open your garage door, you’d smile every time

Value vs rivals

Next up: Equipment
3 out of 5 (3/5)

There’s no getting away from the fact that this is a helluva lot of money fo ‘only’ an 800. But there’s also nothing else quite like it (although the Brutale version is a little cheaper and possibly more useful). Possibly the ultimate middleweight poster bike.

4 out of 5 (4/5)

There’s not just three rider modes; Rain, Normal and Sport, there’s a quick-shifter, traction control, slipper clutch and top notch cycle parts everywhere you look, such as the amazing Brembo stoppers which lure you into taking huge liberties. Straight line braking is immense; just grab a handful of lever and let the electronics do all the work.

It’s impossible to lock either wheel and impossible to stoppie, you won’t be thrown over the bars due to the rear wheel lift intervention. It’s one of the best braking bikes on the market, period.

Specs

Engine type Liquid-cooled inline triple 12v DOHV. 6 gears
Frame type Composite tubular steel trellis and cast aluminium side plates
Fuel capacity 16.6 litres
Front suspension 43mm Marzocchi USD forks, fully adjustable
Rear suspension Sachs single shock, fully adjustable
Front brake 2 x 32mm Brembo discs with four-piston calipers

Warranty term -

Top speed & performance

1/4 mile acceleration -

Model history & versions

2014: Model introduced based on standard Dragster which had been introduced earlier in 2014.

MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR: Similarly blinged up version of the standard Brutale

Owners' reviews for the MV-AGUSTA BRUTALE 800 DRAGSTER RR (2014 - 2017)

4 owners have reviewed their MV-AGUSTA BRUTALE 800 DRAGSTER RR (2014 - 2017) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your MV-AGUSTA BRUTALE 800 DRAGSTER RR (2014 - 2017)

Summary of owners' reviews

Overall rating: 4.8 out of 5 (4.8/5)
Ride quality & brakes: 5 out of 5 (5/5)
Engine: 5 out of 5 (5/5)
Reliability & build quality: 4.2 out of 5 (4.2/5)
Value vs rivals: 4 out of 5 (4/5)
Equipment: 4.5 out of 5 (4.5/5)
Annual servicing cost: £150
4 out of 5 Mr. Agusta rides again...
12 August 2016 by Chris Holton

Version: This is my 4th motorcycle, I owned a yamaha V-MAX that I bought new in 1987 and the last time i rode a motorcycle was 1994

Year: 2015

If you like getting attention buy the dragster rr, "rubber neck" will be the norm from now on..people stop 2 cars from the front of the traffic so they can have a look at this strange looking motorcycle..I go on some longer rides and it could use a cruise control, the handle bars do have some vibration, and the throttle spring is pretty strong,although it may get weaker with time. A fuel guage would be nice too, but it's not a big deal. If you keep adding all these "features" the bike would start to gain weight..

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

You have to know what your buying, I already knew this bike rode ruff before I made the purchase and it does! get used to lifting your self off of the seat when your crossing railroad tracks or larger bumps in the road, they can bounce you off of the seat. I keep a firm grip on the handle bars unless I'm on smooth road, the brakes are spot on! the best!..this thing stops faster the the cars in front of me, and it is part of the reason I made the purchase, it feels safe you can "flick" it quickly and it goes around corners like a slot car..

it's the bomb!..I love the engine, it sounds great and it flies! it has enough torque and H.P. to scare me when I get on the throttle. after riding this bike for some time now, I'm pretty shure I would be happy with the regular dragster power levels..but, I like getting scared..it's fun and a blast to ride.

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

Quality is top notch, and the finish is superb!...I haven't put enough miles on it to have any problems but, I'm pretty shure the starter sprag will be a issue in the near future, it is a little stubborn sometimes when I go to start it and I find myself wondering if it is going to run.

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

I bought this bike partly for the reason of having a very good resale value, I don't see enough used RR's on the market to determine my business sence yet, in a year or two I will have better info..

as I mentioned in my first post, I think a cruise control would have been a good option, you need to remove your throttle hand often because of the strong spring and the vibration...I wont be able to use saddle bags because the exhaust pipe will torch them, the way they are pointed. although, it is not ment to be a touring bike, I do plan on some extended rides...

Buying experience: I bought mine with 330 miles on it, and paid $15,500 I bought it from a private party. it cost me $311.00 to have it delivered to my house...radiator screens were already installed..a "tail tiddy" and anti frame scrapers..w/ tax..registration.. I'm in it around $17,000

5 out of 5 This is a Work of Art
12 January 2016 by AlgarvianMan

Annual servicing cost: £70

Biggest problem with this bike is keeping your license! As an over 60's biker I had a shopping list of requirements my new bike needed to fulfil and this had none of them! So why did I buy it? I would keep this bike in my living room when not riding it as its a work of art. It so puts a smile on my face every time I ride it and have ridden it all the way to the Algarve. It's light, very agile and extremely responsive. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Ride can be a hard on rougher roads but normally firm and well planted. Brakes are spot on and stop you on a sixpence, (5p for you younger guys) I didn't buy it for luggage or carrying a pillion. Easily ride for 100miles before a break.

Ride by wire is spot on, power delivery is phenomenal and the engine never flinches. Quick shifter makes it even easier to gain penalty points.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

one minor problem with the paint on the fuel cap which the Dealer, Perth Motor Cycles sorted in no time at all. The rest of the bike is flawless.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

First service was £70 and aside from petrol and one can of chain lube donated by Perth Motor Cycles I am more than happy.

The standard electronics package has been well thought out by MV, is easy to navigate and I would not change it. The screen could be bigger but I can live with that.

Buying experience: Dealer is Perth Motor Cycles and they were and still are most helpful. Always interested to know how I am getting on with the bike. I got a good discount for cash but the service and friendliness of all the staff from sales to workshop is outstanding.

28 November 2015 by Birky

Annual servicing cost: £170

The looks, the power (from a 800), the noise and being quite exclusive

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Faster you ride it the easier it becomes. Suspension stiff while breaking in. Brakes are phenomenal. Quite a hard ride but it can be softened on the clickers

For an 800 it pulls really well. Its still a bit flat down low but will put 6th gear from about 30mph and has a great linear torque curve. Rev limiter comes in quick typical of a triple

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

Majority is good. I hear horror stories from older models but in 6 months and 5500 miles its been pretty good. I have had a rear led brake failure done under warranty and in the first 500 miles had a few loose bolts on the chain guard and yoke cover. Its Italian...I expected that

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

Average 36 mpg with combined fun and sensible riding

25 July 2015 by Birky

Annual servicing cost: £200

Attention this bike gets is unreal

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Best brakes in the business. ABS a little intrusive if ridden hard or on track so switch off. Ride is hard initially when bedding in but got much more plush within 1500 miles. I run Comp F&R softer than std on road but almost max hard for track and without a professional setup this works well enough

Very free revving and has a good mid/top power. Will pull 4th from 30mph or 6th from 40mph easily. Sounds amazing with a decent pipe (QD) much more free revving than previous triples I have owned (Benelli Tre)

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

Majority good. Small issues at very beginning. Two cable holders came loose, chain guard bolt came loose, head stock bolt came loose. At 3000 miles R/side rear brake solenoid become faulty. Often Tracked and ridden hard with no issues on engine, brakes or bike itself

Value vs rivals 3 out of 5

Servicing is 600 mile initial then 3800 miles and 7500 mile major. 600 & 3800 are both £150-200ish. Bike averages 36mpg on road with mixed riding

Would be nice to have a fuel gauge, fuel range, mpg average etc but for safety it has it all. 8TC settings, anti stoppie and ABS

Buying experience: From a main dealer. Could not recommend them enough (Bennetts of Barnsley) Not local for me but worth the drive