Ad closing in seconds....

SUZUKI SV1000 (2003-2007) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"Big capacity, sensibly priced, road going, sporty V-twin"

Suzuki SV1000 motorcycle review - Riding

"Big capacity, sensibly priced, road going, sporty V-twin"

• Insurance group: 15 of 17
    Compare insurance quotes now

The Suzuki SV1000 is a purpose built big capacity, sensibly priced, road going sporty V-twin. Ok, the engine’s nicked from Suzuki’s old TL1000S but the rest of the SV1000 is all-new yet the price tag is very reasonable new or used. The faired Suzuki SV1000 ‘S’ version has lower bars but is the better all-rounder. The unfaired SV1000 with higher bars is a real funster if less competent on the motorway.

The Suzuki SV1000's chunky aluminium frame with conventional suspension and it works better than the TL1000S ever did. The SV1000's suspension’s not quite as good as pure sports bikes but it’s fine for most people. If you do lots of track days and fancy aftermarket shock and fork re-build will enable you to flick from peg to peg in an instant with no grief. Brakes on the Suzuki SV1000 are strong but work best with fresh fluid.

The Suzuki SV1000's big V-twin produced over 120bhp at the rear wheel when it first appeared in the TL1000S. Unfortunately the bike had handling ‘issues’ and Suzuki tamed it to little over 100bhp. Claimed power for the Suzuki SV1000 is 118bhp, actual figure is about 106 which is enough thanks to loads of torque – but an exhaust system and power commanded will release more if required from the SV1000.

Build quality seems to be a Suzuki problem lately and the SV1000 is no exception. Suzuki SV1000 owners report annoying problems, mainly corrosion and poor finish. Reliability problems are rarer with the SV1000, especially as owners tend to look after their bikes.

New list price is reasonable for a Suzuki SV1000. But new motorcycles are sold at discounts for as little as £5000 for the faired SV1000 and a couple of hundred less unfaired. That makes the Suzuki SV1000 one of the biggest bargains out there. This keeps used values pretty low too. Even running costs and insurance aren’t too pricy for the SV1000. Find a Suzuki SV1000 for sale.

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

Comfortable over distance but the Suzuki SV1000's seat doesn’t suit everyone. Reasonable if not brilliant pillion seat. Clocks are fairly comprehensive. The Suzuki SV1000's headlights are better than most bikes which is a bonus. Mirrors are acceptable and under seat storage is above average. Steering damper fitted as standard. Additional fairing side panels can ruin the lines of the Suzuki SV1000 and make the engine run hot.

Year introduced 2003
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 310mm discs
Rear brake Twin 310mm discs

2003: Original Suzuki SV1000 and Suzuki SV1000S models launched.
2006: Suzuki SV1000 frames now black not silver.

Suzuki SV1000SZ: Special edition with full fairing, multi-colour paint, black frame, crash bungs and slightly more power.

22 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI SV1000 (2003-2007) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI SV1000 (2003-2007)

Power,torque,exhaust note.

07 January 2018 by Andrew jenkinson

What can I say it's a good bike. I baught a k3 in silver after missing out one one of the same year in that orange copper colour.

My biggest problem with the bike. No ABS In my early days or ownership I found my self inadvertently lifting the back end after grabbing a fist full of front break when the world decided to surprise me a couple of times
Well what a thing that is. I'd read good things about the sv1000 but nothing prepared me. I passed my test on a sv650 and then rode a bandit 650 for 4 years, but wanted a v twin again brief ownership of a Ducati monster 796 (another story) the 1000s big v twin is awsome I didn't know it at the time but the privous owner of my bike had spent 2k on tuning. I only paid 3k for it lets just say most websites are wrong about it's capabilities and top speed
Usually Suzuki faultless reliability with slightly sketchy paint finish in the usually places.
No problems to report. Big tourque wheelies can stretch chains and chew the rear tire. But no unexpected thing other than consumables. If seen mpg drop to 96 miles for a tank but that's mine after tuning and hammering it.
Basic id like a fule guage and a centre stand.

Good

30 June 2017 by mark casswell

Reliable, brilliant engine, engaging handling with some simple mods. Gixxer rear shock, higher clip-ons, Staintune mufflers, K and N airfilter and Race tech front fork springs. No I don't recommend them to friends cause i want the second price to remain low to buy another. Unfortunately this strategy didn't work and they are climbing in price.

Handling excellent with mods and that engine can leave a Bandit for dead in top gear roll ons. Great bike for the twisties and having fun and reasonably practical as a medium distance tourer. Forget it as a pillion machine but then better than most sports bikes. Brakes? Can't really comment compared to sports bikes but I have done some serious panic stops and have no problem with fade, strength or feel for road riding conditions.
Its why I put up with her looks :). It just f^&ks off in a big way compared to fours and the mechanical grip [the feel of torque and the midrange acceleration] you get in cornering is amazing. The induction roar is addictive as is the note from the cans.
Bought it with 80 000 kms put 60 000kms on it still goes like stink and uses little oil. Anything that has failed has been aftermarket consumables - . Corrosion is not a big issue in Australia with that said a bit of paint off the engine and that's it. Recently the fuel level sensor light has started flashing I haven't even looked at the valve clearances [I'm bad] and I can buy another engine for the cost of a 4 valve ducati engine service.
I bought it second hand for $4900 AUS and spares are cheap and readily available.
Did i mention the engine. Best mods Gixxer rear shock, higher bars and race tech front springs. Gel seat is only padded at the back and I'm 6ft 4inches sand don't use that part of the seat.

private buy - great experience

Super Vivacious SV1000S

08 July 2016 by Phil

Full marks for being a unique bike. Top marks for motor, handling and bark.

I love the way these bikes ride. Character, character, character. I have a plum CBR1100 as well with oodles of power, yet the SV gives me the biggest grin. Why?? I think it's because the CBR is so well balanced its borderline boring. The SV on the other hand can be a nightmare! But when you click with it, that smile is there long after the bike has cooled down.
yes, yes, yes. I know it's cliché, but the torque really is wonderful. Yes the horsepower tapers off a tad quicker than you may like, but get to know the character of the engine and how to ride it, and you'll be silly fast on it.
It is built cheap I have to say. Forks are basic. Brakes are basic. Rear shock... basic. 180 section back tyre. Keep up the regular services, and it'll never let you down though. It's like a faithful dog just waiting for you morning and night.
If you can hold a spanner and have internet connection, you can pretty much do most things on this bike. Basic components makes for easier servicing.
Obviously pipes are a must but why I give it a 5/5 is because the bark you uncover with a good set of cans is so rewarding. I put a set of Yoshimura TRS titanium's on it. From there, I adjust the fuel mapping on the standard system and it goes lovely. Invest in good tyres, braided brake lines and EBC HH brake pads. Keeping fresh 10w fork oil in the forks helps hugely too.

Bought privately to be just a commuter to work. Now it's become my favorite toy.

Mike

22 February 2016 by Gilly

Very light bike for a 1000cc

Never had a problem

not what I was looking to buy. but once seen bought and repainted

29 October 2015 by bikersar

Fantastic bike, in slow traffic being a v-twin does not like doing slow riding, but love it every other way :)

NOT an allrounder/sportsourer unless you're used to litre superbikes!

30 September 2015 by Stuart Mudd

Why do people say this is an "All Rounder"? It doesn't have the saddle of a sports tourer, or the riding position to allow commuting. It is LESS comfortable than a '93 ZXR 750! this bike should be rebranded from allrounder/sportstourer to performance roadbike/nearly superbike.

Have any of these other reviewers ridden it? The brakes are NOT that good. Dunno why - I thought they were borrowed from the GSX-R 750, but they lacked initial bite, being a little too progressive for my taste and needing a dang good squeeze before they actually hauled up the bike pronto. New pads and fluid didn't really help either.... Suspension - I thought this was borrowed from the GSX-R 600 parts bin. Set to sporty (just means stiff). luckily there's some adjustment but backing it off reduces the firm feel yet you still get jarred over bumps? Not great. The frame is stiff (when has any bike of the last 20 years had a flexible frame?). The seat is rubbish. Would a bit more foam have cost Suzuki the earth and killed any profit margin? Geez. In fact, you might a well just buy a GSX-R for comfort.
Yup. We laugh at the idea of 110 ponies these days. Pffft...girls bike (apparently). But these aren't ponies. They are shire horses. Annoyingly, I'm a long-distance-top-gear-all-day rider. At our speed limit, the bike just sat at about 4k rpm. Which is annoying as the bike didn't START to come alive until 5k. And it takes off at 6k. Unfortunately, that equates to 50km/h over NZ's speed limit. It doesn't run out of puff, either. It hit an indicated 267km/hr convincingly (on a closed road, honest guv'nor). That sporting DNA is still prominent and really eliminates it from being a real allrounder/sportstourer as its rubbish at legal speeds.
the actual engine/gearbox/electrics etc gave me no issues, as per any bike made in the last 30 years. But the downpipes rot easily, and you must fit something (like a "Shock Sock") to prevent the rear shock getting gummed up.
Easy to service. Paid someone else to check the valve clearances once (not a big job and not that pricey). Like any performance bike, I struggled to get more than 4.5k miles from a rear. Economy was OK around the 45-50mpg value in real world conditions. Long haul, I saw that climb to 55mpg if I was careful. So not bad at all, considering it's TL1000 ancestor. Value -wise, its more money than the Firestorm. It's a bit more modern, suspension is more flash. It's more economical. Horses for courses, really. The real killer is comfort and the Firestorm is much more comfy. I bought the bike for $5400 NZD (bikes are expensive in NZ), rode it for 18 months and sold it for $5000 NZD. Pretty good really.
If it's an allrounder/sportstourer, why oh why can't we have a centrestand? Or a proper hugger. Or a front mudguard that stops muck being flung all over the front of the bike (and rotting the downpipe). I'll tell you why. BECAUSE IT'S NOT.

Privately bought and privately sold.

A bit of an animal

24 October 2014 by Bikepete51

I don't know if my bike is standard or not, it looks like but I don't know if it's been remapped, etc. Not had it long and had to have the clutch modded by John Sykes in Yorkshire to cure the judders and make it rideable. Took it out for a spin the other day and it's the first time I've opened her up since all the work I've been doing (I'm returning it to standard spec) and I have to say the torque is amazing- like a bomb going off behind you, torque in any gear almost pulls your arms off. The roadholding and handling are good and the build quality must be ok because my bike looks like new even though it's 7 years old. Fuel consumption isn't the best, but not really surprising considering all the performance. I've read of other owners having magnets fall off the alternator rotor which isn't very clever-bad design Suzuki-magnets only epoxied onto the rotor, cost saving-not good for your reputation at all. I'd say for performance and price it's got to be an all time bargain.

Great Platform To Start

24 June 2014 by dwfree

In stock form, the SV1000S is just ok, but it's a great platform to create a great bike for small cost. The stock suspension is a bit weak. Correct fork springs and 5 wt shock oil corrected the front. An '07-08 ZX6R shock with modified damping corrects the rear. Throw away the steering damper - too stiff - and raise the forks 10mm. With these mods it corners excellently and never shakes its head. Hit a rock large enough to bend the rear rim, at full lean, and it tracked straight through. The ergonomics suck, but putting tube bar clamps on the top triple clamp corrected that. The stock seat sucks, but is easily corrected with some firm foam and new cover material. The engine is a jewel for the street, sounds great with Yosh TRS cans, open up the airbox a bit and put on a Power Commander to correct the A/F, and it rewards with smooth, strong torque. Great headlights. Typical 1000cc heavy engine braking - makes one think it has a lot of driveline lash. Excellent brakes. The short wheelbase lets it change direction quickly. Not big enough for 2-up travel, short rides only, and only if you are small people. Many think it's a bland bike, and in stock form I agree. Correct the weak suspension and liven up the sound with aftermarket cans, and it's a joy to ride. Better than VTF and better value than RC51 and various Ducatis. My pick for best value big V-Twin.

Great all rounder

06 April 2010 by des077

The sv1000s is a great little sports bike if your kind on the throttle it will return around 50mpg and even on my last track day at Cadwell park i got 28mpg and it was being seriously thrashed and as for handling, well the pegs was grinding most of the way around the track and gave me no bad moments with no modifications to suspension and with factory settings. Upto an indicated 145mph it pulls very well only outdone by the likes of R1's and Fireblades. My only gripes are a poor standard of finish and a vibration around 3500rpm, this is slow round town and staedy 60mph type riding, once it gets around 6000rpm it's great but then its a V-Twin i suppose but a great bike all the same after owning it for 6 years i've still no plans to sell it.

SV1000S K3

13 March 2010 by LukeZX6

Moved up to this from a ZX6R and was really suprised, handles really well, brakes are good, really torquey and a respectable top end. Was considering going for the 650 as I heard they have enough power as it is, but in my opinion it just isn't worth it, the extra you pay on the insurance doesn't even come close to the difference in bikes!

SV1000S, Sargent seat, Scorpion cans, Oxford heated grips

03 August 2009 by Lightning Boy

I've had all sorts of bikes in the past but bought the SV to replace my Buell XB12SS. The Buell had been a great bike but I got REALLY hacked off with Harley and their inability to keep basic parts in stock. I bought the SV about 10 months ago and have ridden it through one winter so far. I've had some minor problems with the smooth running - now resolved after a major service. I was finding the seat hideously uncomfortable, it felt like I was riding on my nuts! This has now happily been resolved by the addition of a Sargent seat, a vast improvement. I also have some Hellibars on order - these raise the handle bar position by about 2 inches, I gather that this makes another huge difference to the riding position. Overall, a superb engine, handling is great (could be improved inexpensively I think), practical and sounds great with some fruity cans - all for a bargain price. Cracking!

1st Big Bike

01 March 2009 by cushk3

After the standard "Shall I buy the 650 or 1000?" questions a mint 1000s turned up on the market that had been well-loved and looked after by its previous owner. Having only owned it for a week I feel I cannot contribute entirely to a worth-while review, however in the 200 miles+ I have ridden, I feel completely satisfied that I made the right choice. Being that my previous bike was a Suzuki GS500ES which I had to give up 3 years ago I felt this was a huge step up but so far the bike has done everything asked of it without scaring the hell out of me! It's very stable and responsive and after only a short while inspires confidence. My only niggles are that the seat leads to a numb bum quickly and the after market end bars seem to add to the vibration and I feel my hands going to sleep after only a few miles. Overall thoughts: Stunning looking bike with huge amounts of low-end grunt with a top speed not to be sniffed at - not like I'll need all the power anyway! I only hope I'll look after it as well as my predecessor...

a great all rounder

12 January 2009 by kharheng

bought this bike 2 years ago and done 10k miles. satisfy with the engine performance but lack of engine braking and smoothes compare to my CBR1000RR. low end torque is good and its good for street use and twisties hills. low rev is jerky, installed a TRE and improve better. head light is briliiant! tail light is simple and cool. For riding position, some might not happy with it. its far to reach to handle bar and its low. long ride migh suffer from pain. the rider seat looks nice, but uncomfortable.. same goes to pillion seats and seating position is too high. fuel comsumption is reasonable but a bigger fuel tank would better as it is a sport touring bike!! front brakes is good but not superb, maybe braided hose and sintered pads will improve, rear brake is brilliant! handling is stable at low speed. high speed corner may feel unstable and the bike diving all the time. try my best to adjust but still lack of stability at high speed corner. a change on rear shock and fork spring is recommended if required. link pipe is close to footrest, beware of getting your legs burned when stand still at traffic lights. stock Michelin rubber last 5k miles but not sticky. chain need to adjust frequently and regular WD-40 spray is needed. no break down issue so far, reliability should be good. this is an inexpensive bike and affordable :)

SV1000s past 5 years

13 October 2008 by kaybe

I have owned from new and bike is still in immaculate condition and done 14k miles, admittingly only summer use. It gets washed afetr every run and a squirt of WD 40 all over. Apart from absolute top speed, it easily keeps up with the most recent sport 1000s in the twisties which after all is what you want given the fun factor. It does get through back tyres 1500-1800, best being 2100, with the front 2500-3000 miles. Done a number of track days and the bike was limited by my abilities. At one circuit the marshalls said my bike was by far the best sounding as it came into and out of the hairpin on its open scorpions. Nothing like a free breathing v-twin on full chat, yahoo. Suspension is ok for a FB like me at 15 stone, but the GSXR K3 rear suspension unit sorts that. Brakes are excellent, all in all great value for money.

Excellent

03 September 2007 by peterfurness

I've had my SV1000s for a year now after changing up from the SV650s. Brilliant bike, cracking for fast blasts and great for commuting in and out of town. Handles well and keeps up round the lanes with any other bike I've come across. A must ride bike!

sv1000s

05 July 2007 by spotterj

Just passed 22k, what a great bike, everything i need from fast blasts with mates to touring 2 up with Mrs. Never let me down & what a sound when you open her up

SV1000SZ

20 March 2007 by Kleggy

Having tried the CBR and Gixxer settled on the SZ variant of this brilliant bike. Have ridden it through its second winter the build quality is equal to that of Honda. The ride is very involving unlike the others tested.The SV still impresses after this length of time. Its the Daddy. Takes a pillion better than most sports bikes.

First Impressions

11 September 2006 by garryd

Just bought a new SV1000S Black with polished rims and Yoshi pipes. Had my first good ride and found the suspension not to my liking. I found it to be too hard in the rear and to soft in the front. Bike now feels much better balanced. I would suggest owners get there ride height sorted to get the best from this bike as it only needs minor changes to satisfy most riders. Strengths: Excellent Engine. Just add good pipes and a good Air Filter (K&N?). Weaknesses: At this point I would think suspension needs some sorting but hopefully without replacing anything expensive.

SV1000S in Copper, R&G crash bungs, Leo Vince cans, Suzuki double bubble screen

04 August 2006 by DebaserNI

I wanted to get away from peaky 4 cylinder bikes and was completely hooked after a test ride at my local dealer. I have my bike nearly 2 years now and have been hugely impressed so far, bearing in mind the (relatively!!) low purchase price. The grunt is fantastic and means I can just wind it on and concentrate on the corners while my mates are dancing on their gearboxes! Having said that, it takes a fair bit of hustling to get it round a corner, but I havent adjusted the suspension at all; some people reckon they are very hard from stock. Strengths: Tremendous surge of torque, pretty high revving for a twin, sound from Leo Vince cans (actually bordering on offensive!) Great gearbox (typical Suzuki). Weaknesses: Bum numbing seat, popping and banging from aftermarket cans on the over-run, woeful view from mirrors, suspect finish in some areas (typical Suzuki again!).

SV100SZ - The mutts nuts

13 January 2006 by parmstrong

I bought my SV last november when the 0% finance deal was on for £6050, a saving of £450. Group 15 insurance, £1 deposit, £170 month for a blazing missile. Not Bad!!! I've never ridden a "Superbike" so can't be completely sure about "Superbike Performance" but as far as I can tell when blasting along with other bikes the SV can handle itself fine. Lets face it, if 170ish mph isn't quick enough for you (get a ZX1400RRRRRRRRR or become a jet fighter pilot) nothings ever gonna be. Strengths: That unbelievable engine thumping away, its comfy (for a 6ft 3 fatty), handles everything I can throw at it, and its just looks so f-----g good. Weaknesses: I dont know yet, but I'm sure the finish is probably gonna fall short, but hey it's a Suzuki. When it starts to go I'll just trade it in (and probably get another SV).

What a hoot, fantastic bike, sounds great, something a little different and doesn't cost the earth.

09 January 2006 by ryderad

I bought my silver SV1000 in April 05, it was pre - registered in Nov 2004 on a 54 plate and is a 2003 model with 0 miles on the clock. I've done 5500 miles on it. The only problem I've had is following a session on the Dyno when 30 mins later (Luckily @ home) it would not start. It turned out that the "Back Torque Plate" (slipper clutch of a kind)had gone, it was repaired FOC under warranty although the bike was off the road 4 weeks. I've fitted a TRE (strongly recommended) as the bike is a little lumpy at the bottom end, a set of BOS race cans (sounds awesome)and a Tail tidy - to get rid of the 4 1/2 acres of plastic there is around the rear end! Strengths: Very easy to ride (especially after fitting the TRE). As I have said it sounds fantastic and I'm sure could pull a caravan. Digital speedo nice and easy to read even at 150!
Weaknesses: Fuel range is not brilliant, I get between 90 - 100 miles on a tank if I'm on A/B roads and around 120 on motorway sticking to the speed limit. There is no fuel guage or reserve tap, just a yellow warning light when you hit 1 gallon left (I think), a little disconcerting initially but you soon get used to it.

Good all round bike, but with flaws.

29 October 2005 by JIMLARCH

I sold a K3 1000 and bought the SV, as I thought it was time to slow down a bit. That was not the case. Found the twin was revvy and I ended up riding it just as hard. It felt slow at first, v-twins give that impression, but after a while I realised it had some zip. Missed the top end of the gixxer. I would love one as a second bike, but as a first bike I found it wanting and got rid of it, bought a k5 1000. Strengths: Deceptively fast. Weaknesses: Knotchy transmission. Gearing needs work. Lacks, contrary to what everyone has told me, grunt at the low end. Needs to be revved. Noisy engine, knocks, rattles and bangs. Surges on part throttle at lower speeds. Needs some improvement. The seat is very umcomfortable after a short distance, too soft. Pegs seem too far back, and down.

• Suzuki SV1000 motorcycle review - Side view