Insurance advice: “I'm an EU citizen but can’t get UK cover”

MCN Compare

1 of 1

I’m Portuguese and brought my 2013 BMW S1000RR over here a few months ago and put it on a UK plate. But I can’t seem to find an insurance company to quote me for cover because I’ve only been in the UK for two years, although I have five years’ no-claims from my Portuguese insurer.

Michael Ribeiro, email

Answered by Christian Evitt, Carole Nash

Most insurers will only quote if you have been permanently resident in the UK for three years. Some insurers, on referral, will consider offering cover based on your previous riding experience and will even allow motorcycle no claims discount from other EU countries if you have written proof (in English) from your previous EU insurer. Obtaining quotes online (including aggregators) will be difficult, so I suggest you contact insurance providers by phone so that you can explain your personal circumstances. 


Read the latest stories causing a buzz this week in Insurance…

MCN News

By MCN News