Ad closing in seconds....

Fully comprehensive and third party insurance explained

MCN Compare

Insuring your bike isn't always the easiest task due to the myriad of options, boxes to tick and forms to fill out, but perhaps the most important part of the process is deciding what level of cover you need.

There are three types of motorcycle insurance cover; third party, third party, fire and theft, and fully comprehensive.


Below we breakdown what each type of cover, err, covers to make the process a little less painful and help you along the journey to getting on the road.

Third party only

If you crash your bike and damage it and yourself your insurance company won't pay anything to you - they'll only pay out losses to third parties who may have been involved in the accident. This includes drivers, passengers, and the owners of any property which the accident may have damaged. For example, if you hit another vehicle and damage that vehicle your insurance will cover the cost of the other person's repairs and medical expenses. Third party only cover is the legal minimum level of insurance cover you need.

Third party, fire and theft (TPFT)

Same as above but adds cover for repairs or compensation to the value of your bike if it's written off or damaged as a result of a fire or stolen. If you know your bike's going to be off the road for the duration of the insurance but still want cover should somebody want to take it for themselves this would be our recommendation.

Fully comprehensive

Fully comprehensive, sometimes referred to as fully comp, is usually the most expensive option and offers the highest level of cover. It adds cover for any damage caused to you or your motorcycle and usually gives third party insurance cover to ride other people's bikes, though this differs between insurers so be sure to check. This is the level of cover we recommend as it offers you the most protection.



Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.

Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)