Insurance: Can I take out a policy for myself, but on my son's bike?

1 of 1

I’d like to take out my own Fully Comp policy on my son’s Yamaha MT07; to ride it occasionally and keep my No Claims Discount (NCD) current.

John Squires, e-mail

The insurance industry uses the MID (Motor Insurers Database) to make sure this can’t happen, as there is a risk that they could be hit with multiple fraudulent claims.

Unlike the car market, there isn’t a short-term cover option out there at the moment. If you were added as a named rider to your son’s policy you could ride it legally. But you would need your own policy on another bike to keep your NCD valid, as it can expire after two to three years

Chris Evitt, Carole Nash

If you're looking for a solid selection of insurance brokers who can help with your specific insurance needs, try


Read the latest stories causing a buzz this week in Insurance…

MCN Compare

By MCN Compare