Motorcycle insurance advice: What to do if you fall off due to a diesel spill

If you are unlucky enough to come off on a diesel spill you can make a motorcycle insurance claim through the Motorist Insurers Bureau, however there are time limits on when you can claim and you need to have all the right information to hand.

Get an incident report in writing from police within five days of accident (or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter - this should only be relied upon in cases such as where the injured party was in a coma for a while) if the claim will include property or property related damage.

If the claim is for injuries only then get the incident number within 14 days (or as soon as reasonably practicable).

Submit the claim to MIB within nine months if the claim includes property damage.
If the claim is for injuries only, submit within three years. Best advice is to gather required documentation and submit as soon as possible.

For cases other than minor injuries seek legal advice.


EM10 SP10