Motorcycle insurance advice: moving house

Hands up who’s put important paperwork from their insurance company in the 'filing' pile and forgotten to look at it? Or maybe you’ve moved house and forgotten to tell your insurer your new address and that renewal notice hasn’t reached you?

That’s what happened to Terry Cuthbert from London: “I was riding my bike along Bromley High Street a month later and a car coming in the opposite direction suddenly turned right immediately in front of me.

"I braked hard, but my bike collided with the car, and I was thrown down the road and badly injured. Thankfully the car driver told me that he just didn’t see me and admitted liability.

The problem is that I moved house three weeks ago and forgot to tell my insurance broker my new address, so when I phoned them to get a claim form, they told me that as I did not respond to their renewal notice I am not insured.”

Thankfully, that’s not the end of the road for Terry, as the third party car driver admitted liability and he’s claiming from that person’s insurance, not his own.

Although he may well pick up some penalty points and a fine for being uninsured, provided the guilty motorist is insured, he will still be able to claim from his insurers for his injuries and all provable losses.

Due to the complication of being uninsured at the time, he should employ a specialist solicitor to act for him, and maybe see if he can get it funded through his household insurance legal cover (if he’s got that either).


C10 RS10 EM10