Ad closing in seconds....

How to get your motorbike licence

Riding a motorbike is one of the most exciting and liberating experiences going, but getting a licence to do so can seem offputtingly complicated. Never fear, MCN is here. Just follow our simple step-by-step guide through the minefield of rules and restrictions.

The first steps to getting your licence

Two documents are needed to ride a motorcycle legally on the road as a learner: a provisional motorcycle licence and a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate. These will entitle you to ride a motorcycle or scooter of up to 125cc and 15bhp (11kw). You must display L-plates and cannot use the motorway or carry a pillion.

A provisional licence is obtained by completing an application form from the Post Office or online. You must be at least 17 years old to get one for a motorcycle. At 16 years old you can get one for a moped, defined as having an engine of no more than 50cc and a top speed no greater than 30mph.

The first step is taking a CBT

If you’ve got a full car licence it should already include provisional motorcycle entitlement. To make sure, check your licence for provisional entitlement to vehicle category A. If you obtained a full car licence before February 1 2001, you can ride a moped without a CBT certificate.

Otherwise, before riding either a moped or motorcycle on the road you’ll need to find a CBT course taught by an approved training body (ATB). The course consists of practical training at the ATB site and on the road. It costs £100-£135 and most ATBs provide motorcycles and helmets. On successfully completing the course you’ll get a CBT certificate valid for two years. 

Getting a full bike licence

Students at a bike school

If you’ve read this far, you’re obviously made of the right stuff to be a biker, so keep going.

To get a full licence you have to sit a number of theory and practical riding tests, each consisting of two parts. You will qualify in a series of steps, known as ‘staged access’ and, depending on your age, you may be able to skip certain parts in what is called direct access. To see which route you qualify for, check the official licence guidlines at the bottom of the page.

If you're 17-18 years of age, you can sit a theory and practical test for a full motorcycle licence, enabling you to ditch your L-plates and ride on the motorway. But you will only hold an A1 licence which limits you to 125cc and 15bhp – the same power and capacity limits as before.

Alternatively, you can hold on to your CBT until you turn 19 and then take a two-part practical test to qualify for an A2 licence. This will limit you to 47bhp (35kw) and no more than 0.26bhp per kilogram (0.2kw/kg).

Candidate performs an emergency stop

Once you’ve had an A2 licence for two years, you can take another two-part practical test to finally get your A licence to ride any bike you want. This makes the minimum age to qualify for an unlimited bike 21, so long as you have the relevant experience. 

Alternatively, if you are 24 or over, can take one theory and practical test for an A licence. The theory test involves multiple choice questions and a hazard awareness exam using video clips. Both parts are taken using a computer and it costs £23.

The practical test consists of a manoeuvres exam at a test centre (Module 1) and an on-road exam (Module 2). They can be booked separately or together but must both be passed within two years of the theory test.

What to expect from your Mod 1 test

This excellent video by ART Motorcycle Training shows new riders exactly what happens during the Module 1 off-road motorcycle test, helping reduce the fear of the unknown!

The Module 1 test normally takes about 20 minutes and includes:

  • Wheeling the bike and using its stand.
  • Riding a slalom and figure of eight.
  • A slow ride.
  • A U-turn.
  • Cornering and a controlled stop.
  • Cornering and an emergency stop.
  • Cornering and hazard avoidance, during which you must be riding at a minimum speed of 19mph on a moped or 31mph on a motorcycle.

Once you have completed the test, your examiner will tell you if you have passed or failed having made note of dangerous faults (those that involve danger to you, the examiner or the public or property), serious faults (which are potentially dangerous) or riding faults (which aren’t potentially dangerous, but could become serious if you keep on making them).

To pass Module 1 you must have no serious or dangerous faults (these are sometimes called major faults) and no more than five riding faults (often called minor faults).

Learner riding around cones

If you pass, the examiner will tell you what faults, if any, you made and give you a pass certificate. You will need to take this with you to your Module 2 test. If you fail, you will need to rebook your Module 1 test and pay again, waiting at least three working days from the date of your failure.

If you have already booked your Module 2 then you may need to reschedule this as well and be aware that you will lose your fee if you don’t give three full days notice.

Module 1 costs £15.50 and Module 2 costs £75 on weekdays or £88.50 for evenings and weekends. The whole shebang including training can come to around £700.

Your Mod 2 test involves being observed on the open road

More things to consider before you book your bike test

There are still important decisions to be made. First of all, it’s important to note that a practical test taken on a twist-and-go automatic will only qualify you to ride twist-and-go automatics. To ride motorcycles with gears, you need to take the test on a geared bike.

There are three sub-categories of bike you can use for your test. That category will affect the sub-category you can ride after you have got that specific licence. You must use the same sub-category machine for both test modules.

A practical test taken on sub-category A1 bike, which is a motorcycle between 120cc and 125cc, that has no more than 15bhp (11kw) and is capable of at least 55mph, will get you a category A1 ‘light motorcycle licence’.

You’ll be restricted to bikes with a maximum engine capacity of 125cc and power output of 15bhp. Examples include the Honda CBR125 and KTM 125 Duke. You’ll be able to use motorways or carry pillions and can remove your L-plates.

To get an A2 licence, you’ll need to use a bike that’s at least 395cc, produces between 35bhp (25kw) and 47bhp (35kw) and has a power to weight ratio of no more than 0.26bhp per kilogram (0.2kw/kg).

KTM 390 Duke

A bike that fits those regulations out of the crate is the Yamaha MT-03 or KTM 390 Duke but a lot of bikes with sufficient engine capacity to comply have to be restricted to fit sub-category A2, including the Kawasaki ER-6F and Suzuki GSX650F. If they are restricted, the normal unrestricted power can’t be more than double its new restricted power.

According to the Driver Standards Agency, if you intend to use an A2-restricted motorcycle, you must bring proof of the restriction to your test, or it will be cancelled.

It must be on headed notepaper from a main dealer, official importer or recognised specialist, and must show the motorcycle’s registration number. A dyno test certificate will not be accepted.

Finally, a category A unrestricted motorcycle must be at least 595cc and deliver at least 54bhp (40kw).

Training for a bike licence

If the sheer complexity of those choices and hurdles has given you a headache, don’t worry.

Whichever route you take you’ll need training and a decent school will guide you through the process from start to finish.

Many will provide everything from CBT to a place on a practical test in a package tailored to get you whichever type of bike licence you need.

The DVSA also provides these handy flow charts to help you work out what your first step needs to be.

Motorbike licence flow chart

Find a used motorcycle for sale.

Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)