Legal advice: Appearing in court for speeding

Published: 05 September 2009

If you have accused of speeding at more than 20mph over the relevant limit you won’t receive a Fixed Penalty Notice with a £60 fine and three points.

Instead a Summons will be issued for you to attend Court where the magistrates will decide on your punishment. They have considerable discretion as to the level of fine and whether you get penalty points or are disqualified, right up to compulsory re-testing if you have really been a naughty boy.

Get your best suit pressed, letters of support from you employers and go there showing genuine contrition for the chance of the best outcome for you. Oh yes, the Justices like to be called "your Worships".

For more legal advice visit - Legal Help