Gallery: Ducati 1299 Panigale v 959
Ducati’s 1299 Panigale beats the 959 on paper in every category, but the battle isn’t fought on paper, it’s fought on the road...
It wasn’t many years ago that riding a full-blooded Bolognese V-twin with commitment challenged riders to adapt from their usual style. The 916 was like that; so was the 999 and 1098. Rangy, tall, light and aristocratically haughty, you had to come to a Ducati sportsbike; it wouldn’t come to you.
- Guy Martin accepts dare to pilot speedway sidecar
- How the hell do you... Become Valentino Rossi’s mechanic?
- Finance: £100-a-month heroes
- Four Tyco BMW race bikes stolen from Birmingham hotel
- Christmas gifts for your bike
But as the 1299 S and 959 Panigales ping and ting, contracting and cooling in the fading glow of this year’s last sunlight, the truth is these days, the doors to Ducati’s range of sportsbikes are wide open.
We tested then to see which we preferred on normal roads.
Check out this week’s MCN to read the full test.