Yamaha unveil all-new YZ450F for 2020
Yamaha have announced a completely redesigned version of their YZ450F competition model for 2020, which they say will be lighter and more powerful than the outgoing version using mass-centralised components, a lighter aluminium frame and a rearward-slanting, high compression single-cylinder engine.
The lighter and more compact engine also uses a durable forged piston, straight inlet and aggressive cam profile to deliver its improved power.
As seen on the 2019 model, the 2020 version will be compatible with the Power Tuner app, allowing wireless fettling to suit the track or conditions. What’s more, a handlebar-mounted switch gives the rider a choice of two pre-programmed maps on the move.
The package is completed with uprated brakes to cope with the extra power, and a KYB suspension package for sharp handling and agility.
The bike will join the existing Yamaha off road range and will be available from August 2019. The price is yet to be announced.
2020 Yamaha YZ450F highlights
- New 450cc engine with lighter and more compact rearward-slanted cylinder
- Mass centralised design
- Yamaha Power Tuner for instant track-side tuning via a smartphone
- Handlebar switch for easily adjustable mapping
- Compact electric starter with ultra-light battery
- Launch Control System (LCS)
- Angled radiators ensure effective engine cooling
- Compact mass-centralised wraparound exhaust
- Forward mounted muffler
- Lighter aluminium bilateral frame
- Slimline body and seat for ultimate ergonomics
- KYB coil spring-type speed sensitive front suspension
- Link-type rear suspension with specially-tuned KYB shock
- Lightweight wheels with blue rims
- 270mm front disc with uprated caliper aggressive pad material
- New rear disc and more compact caliper
- 4-position adjustable rubber-mounted handlebar clamp
- Embedded graphics give extended durability
- Tapered aluminium handlebars with quick-adjust clutch perch
- Wider and lighter footrests