Horror video shows motorbike battery explode in home

1 of 2

A terrifying video of an explosion caused by a charging electric motorbike lithium-ion battery in a home in Halifax, has been released by West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS).

The incident happened in a home in Illingworth on February 24 and shows a man descending the stairs at around 1am to popping sounds.

According to WYFRS this noise is created by batteries failing due to thermal runaway – the production of too much heat while on charge.

The video has been released with the approval of the home owner as a way to educate the public to the dangers of charging lithium-ion batteries indoors.

Watch manager John Cavalier, who is with the fire investigation unit at the service, said: “While fires involving lithium batteries are common, having a video showing the violence of the fire’s development is not. It’s clear to see in the video that the fire is absolutely horrifying – none of us would want this to happen in our homes.”

He added: “Because lithium batteries can be found in a range of items, we frequently attend fires involving them. They can be found in cars, bikes, scooters, laptops, phones, and e-cigarettes, amongst many other items.

“Any other type of fire we deal with has usually developed slowly, and people are able to get out quickly. However, battery fires are so ferocious and spread so quickly that there isn’t as much time to escape.”

Five people were taken to hospital, all with smoke inhalation with one person suffering burns to their mouth and windpipe. None of the injuries were life threatening.

The home’s kitchen was severely heat and smoke damaged which also affected other parts of house as doors were left open as people escaped from the blaze.

WM Cavalier added: “To help keep everyone in your family safe, don’t leave lithium batteries to charge unattended, don’t put them in the way of exits or in hallways and unplug chargers when the batteries are at full capacity.

“I’d like to thank the owner of the house who gave us permission to use the video – it clearly shows the dangers associated with lithium batteries and could help to save lives.”