ZX-7R restored to glory

Published: 04 November 2005

After phoning several breakers and finding them as helpful as a chocolate fireguard I found the answer online. I sourced a road going Skidmarx fairing kit for £375 - Kawasaki wanted almost £900. I also traced a double bubble screen and a new V-section to hold the fairing in place.

By the time the parts arrived the back brake had seized. And it was at this point that I spotted I had no fairing brackets left on the bike and a bolt had sheared off of the radiator bracket (£20 for a new one), so it was off to the local Kawasaki dealer for some genuine parts.

£60 later I had all the parts I need to stick the fairings back on the bike. But before I could do that I needed to find myself a headlight. Breakers wanted £150 for a used euro one. I foundg a genuine UK spec headlight for £100 and a chain guard for £2 thrown into the deal on an online auction (check out MCN Auctions, here). I also got a replacement clutch lever at a staggering £10.

After putting the side fairings on with little problem it was time for the top fairing. Two hours of filing later - and the headlight finally fitted into the holes provided.

When these were on it was time to take the project to the local garage to see what else needed doing for it to pass its MoT.

They sorted the bent handlebar, brakes, and fitted the fiddly radiator bracket. So with MoT in hand it was time to go to the post office.

Despite a week on the Optimiser, the battery was still dead, so I got a new one and she fired up first time... but with a broken speedo. With that repaired the bike was road-going and ready for action.

Six months down the line, the bike is running really well and even coping with my 140-mile round-trip commute to work.

Got any questions or undertaken a similar project, contact Dave by clicking here.

Much like dogs from the RSPCA, my bike is a rescue one and needed a good home to go to.

When I found my Kwaka, it was in a bad, unloved condition, missing all its fairings, no headlight, a broken clutch lever, knackered bearings, tyres showing canvas, no brake callipers and a battery with the same amount of life in it as a McDonald’s cheeseburger.

But with a straight frame, perfectly straight forks and only a £800 asking price I thought it would be a project I could really get my teeth into.

So after pushing the bike round to my garage (The seller only lived 500 yards away), I gave it the once over and straight away I realised one glaring error, I had no idea how to repair a bike! I didn’t even own a lock to secure it.

So it was off to Halfords and Pound Stretcher. I returned with a tool kit, Haynes manual and an industrial-sized can of WD40, ready to hack into the bike.

I started by reading the Haynes manual for tips and what else I would need. The list of missing part proved to be longer than expected.