BMW Motorrad have revealed the full production version of the concept bike we were teased with at the end of 2017. Dubbed the HP4 RACE, it's the first BMW to feature a full carbon fibre frame and the firm says it "epitomises the brand's reputation for innovation, pioneering technology and class-leading performance."
BMW HP4 RACE highlights
- Carbon fibre main frame in monocoque construction weighing just 7.8 kilograms
- 212bhp @ 13,900 rpm and 88.5lbft @ 10,000 rpm
- Self-supporting carbon fibre rear frame with three-stage height adjustment
- Carbon fibre wheels
- Öhlins FGR 300 fork
- Öhlins TTX 36 GP shock
- Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers
- Close-ratio racing gearbox
- Lithium-ion battery
- 2D dashboard and 2D data recording including logger
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels)
- Engine Brake EBR (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels)
- Wheelie Control (programmable for selected gears)
- Launch Control & Pit Lane Limiter
- Paint finish in BMW HP Motorsport colours
- Production run of 750 units, each individually crafted
- UK price of £68,000 and available from September 2017
Revealed in all its glory last night at the Auto Shanghai 2017 show in China, the HP4 RACE's big claim to fame is that carbon frame. Weighing just 7.8kg, it's joined by carbon fibre wheels that are claimed to be 30% lighter than the equivalent alloys.
BMW say that the engine, electronics, brake and suspension technology on the HP4 RACE take it to the same spec level as current factory superbike racing machines. Weighing just 171kg when fully-fuelled and track ready, the HP4 RACE is actually lighter than the current World Superbikes.
The one big downside is the HP4 RACE's singular purpose - this is a track-only bike, and not homologated for road use. The upside is that you get a World Superbike spec engine, producing 212bhp, Öhlins FGR 300 inverted fork and TTX 36 GP monoshock – the same as used in both World Superbike and MotoGP racing series. Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers also come straight from the world stage and ensure optimal braking performance.
An extensive package of electronic controls are viewed and controlled through the 2D dash, with data logger included. Dynamic Traction Control, Engine Braking and Wheelie Control can be programmed for each gear, according to rider preference.
While BMW's HP-series bike have always pushed the boat out when compared to the underlying machinery that spawned them, the HP4 RACE is in another league altogether – but that comes at a price. £68,000 to be precise. The obvious comparison for this German 'Super-leicht', is Ducati's sublime Superleggera. The parallels are clear, too – with Ducati claiming an equal 212bhp @ 11,000rpm a dramatically more stomping 108lbft @ 9000rpm and 4kg less kerb mass, at 167kg. The Superleggera is another £4000 on top of the HP4 RACE, but you can use it on the road, too.
The new HP4 RACE will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and can be ordered from any BMW Motorrad dealer in the UK.
Looking for your perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.