Forget EasyJet and take a two-wheeled trip with one of these cut-price tourers
If your idea of an all-inclusive package deal is a two-week trip to the sun on an overcrowded Airbus then look away now. But if you fancy setting your own agenda on a brand-new tourer, loaded with all-inclusive extras like hard luggage, comfy seats and 12v connectors then you’re in luck.
Not only have we identified four of the best value-for-money pre-registered and nearly new tourers available, but we’ve also worked out which would be the cheapest to run per mile over a 3000-mile touring trip.
Trophy takes top honours
For those who want a proper, fully-loaded tourer that’s brilliant value to buy and even better value to run, the Triumph Trophy 1200 SE is currently the bike to beat. Now discontinued from Triumph’s range, it’s still possible to pick up pre-reg or ex-demo 2016 models for just £12,000 – that’s a saving of £1500 over rrp. With equipment including hard luggage, electronically adjustable screen and suspension, cruise control, stereo, ABS and traction control, the Trophy is ready to roll whenever you are. And, as the 1215cc shaft-drive triple returns a brilliant 52mpg and only requires servicing every 10,000 miles, it’s topped our running cost chart with its 12p-per-mile performance.
VFR1200X gives you Xtra
Honda dealers are sweetening the deal on new VFR1200X Highlander editions by offering low-rate finance and £1000 deposit contribution on a bike that already has £2000 off the cost of all its extras. The Highlander comes with delights such as three-piece hard luggage, centrestand, heated grips, fog lights and touring screen which when bought separately should cost over £3000, but at £13,499 for the non-DCT version the Highlander only costs £1000 more than the standard Crosstourer. Plus, Honda are also offering a three-year servicing package for just £575, saving you up to £385 in potential parts and labour costs, and meaning the Crosstourer will only cost you 16p per mile to run on your tour.
Find yourself a frugal tourer on mcnbikesforsale.com
Spending less on running costs will free up more cash for classy accommodation. Time to unleash the MCN calculator
12p per mile
- Pick one up for £12,000 from Carl Rosner Triumph, www.carlrosner.co.uk
- Fuel economy 52mpg Servicing every 10,000 miles at an average cost of £250 Average fully comp insurance from MCNcompare.com – £200.30
2016 Yamaha FJR1300
15p per mile
- Pick one up for £13,495 from Millennium Motorcycles, 01744 357897
- Fuel economy 45mpg Servicing every 6000 miles at an average cost of £215 Average fully comp insurance from MCNcompare.com – £170.39
2016 Kawasaki 1400GTR
18p per mile
- Pick one up for £12,499 from Orrell Motorcycle Centre, 01942 566728
- Fuel economy 42mpg Servicing every 3750 miles at an average cost of £197 Average fully comp insurance from MCNCompare.com – £215.60
2017 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander
16p per mile
- Pick one up for £13,499 at Rochdale Honda www.rochdalehonda.co.uk
- Fuel economy 40mpg Servicing every 8000 miles at an average cost of £191 Average fully comp insurance from MCNCompare.com – £327.12
Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.