KRC Motorcycle Endurance Championship 2007 - Round Two

1 of 9

KRC Motorcycle Endurance Championship 2007 - Round Two, Pembrey, South Wales – 17th June 2007

Morning practice was held in very mixed weather with only one session being dry; times were dominated by the three Class C (751–1300cc) runners in Round 2 of the KRC Endurance Championship at Pembrey in South Wales. A

fter retiring from the opening round of the championship at Mallory, Team GB Moto (Mark Smith-Halvorsen/Mick Godfrey/Yamaha R1) were fastest ahead of Glynn Racing (Aaron Hughes/Lee Hodge/Yamaha R1) and other leading national endurance outfit, Uprite Racing (Vance John/John Crockford/Suzuki 1000).

The three teams were all within half a second of each other, just under the 62 second mark, some two and a half seconds ahead of the well-ridden M&C R6. Race day enjoyed a changeable morning with some showers in the locale; fortunately by midday the sun had appeared and the track was dry.

After the drop of the flag the field settled down with GB Moto in the lead, Glynn Racing pitted early on in the race and lost a lap. Uprite called into the pits to check and alter suspension settings; following this visit to the pits Uprite dipped below into the 59s showing pace and consistency.

All this meant that after 30 minutes, GB Moto held a 1 lap lead over recent winners of the first round at Mallory Park, M&C Racing (Juan ‘Mick’ Dickinson/son Craig/Yamaha R6) who were not hanging about on the short and twisty Pembrey track, which the pairing had never even seen until the morning of race day.

Before the half way point Aaron Hughes stepped off the R1 at Spitfires - sadly the bike was too damaged to recover, let alone carry on with substantial damage to the rear sub-frame and suspension fixings, not quite folded in half but almost. Thankfully Aaron was OK and able to walk back to the pits to debrief his team.

At around the same time Barracuda Racing (Harry Kay/Simon Scott/Gerard Knox/Suzuki 1000) retired after Kay ditched the machine at the far side of the circuit. The rider was OK and able to return the bike to the pits where the team decided to retire. Damage to the bike was mainly superficial, ie. screen and fairing, however the rear brake pedal was now facing backwards and Barracuda were without a replacement.

Having a steady ride were Team TED (Nick Oliver/Ashley Norrington/Honda 400) who circulated very consistently in fourth place towards the closing stages of the race. Nick, from Douglas in the Isle of Man had enjoyed TT week racing whilst not at work and was now taking part in his first endurance race – his comment at the end of two hours was that this was the most relaxing racing he had ever taken part in; more used to the short sprint races of national Supermono. Nick was to partner another Manx resident, Tony Cawfe, who was scratched and replaced at the last minute by taller than average novice, Ashley Norrington. Ashley started the endurance race having just grabbed a well deserved third place in the preceding ACU Supermono encounter.

At the end of racing Uprite were still running round in the mid 59s and were now on the same lap as the Dickinsons' R6. However there was not enough time left on the clock to close down on the South Africans and grab runner-up spot behind the faultlessly run and ridden R1 of GB Moto. M&C Racing, with a first and second place, now head off to Snetterton in September at the top of the championship table.

Class leaders after Pembrey are; Class A – Team TED, Class B – M&C Racing, Class C – GB Moto and Class E – Barracuda Racing.

Results: 1 GB Moto * 115 laps 2 M&C Racing * 111 laps 3 Uprite Racing 111 laps 4 Team TED * 92 laps 5 Glynn Racing 34 laps 6 Barracuda Racing * 32 laps * denotes class winners. Fastest Lap – Uprite Racing 59.67s (87.84mph)

For more information:

Words + photos – Alfonso Lygo

Read the latest stories causing a buzz this week in Sport…

Alfonso Lygo

Reader's article

By Alfonso Lygo