Dakar stage 9: Briton Richard Main injured and out of race
Richard Main is out of Dakar 2019 following a big crash early into stage nine. The 53 year old Brit sustained a broken pelvis, internal bleeding and has 18 stitches in his chin. He has now undergone surgery to stabilise the fracture and try and stop the bleeding.
MORE SPORTS NEWS FROM MCN
- MotoGP: Lorenzo breaks wrist in training incident
- Ducati unveil radical 2019 MotoGP livery
- Toby Price wins Dakar in dramatic tenth stage
- Official BSB testing programme revealed for 2019
- William Dunlop posthumously inducted to Irish motorcycling Hall of Fame
It’s a tragic end to what has been a valiant Dakar campaign. Riding the Redline KTM, Main who started number 147 quickly progressed up the leader board and was running 74that the end of stage eight.
In what was his first attempt at Dakar, Main was in touching distance of the finish.
All at MCN would like to wish him a speedy recovery.