Michael Laverty won not only the race but also the tyre game on way to victory in the British Supersport race at Knockhill by just under two seconds from Triumph rider Paul Young.
The race was moved back to after the second British Superbikes race at the Scottish circuit due to the wet conditions experienced there all day.
But once underway Relentless Suzuki’s Michael Laverty soon got control of the race to head straight in to the lead ahead of Ian Hautchinson (Bike Animal Honda) followed by Sam Owens (Honda Premier Motorsport).
Honda man Jamie Robinson received a 20 second penalty on lap two as the stewards decided he had jump started the race. Also losing out early on was Suzuki Express Tyre Racing rider Kenny Edwards who fell at the John R Weir chicane.
But up front Michael Laverty had extended his lead to as much as 10.445 by lap eight before the safety car was brought out because of Yamaha’s Les Shand coming off. This brought the gap between Michael Laverty and Ian Hutchinson down to 0.809, but once green flag racing was resumed he soon built up a three second lead again.
Paul Young was making steady progress by lap 14 and overtook Tom Grant for third place.
By the end of the 20 laps many of the riders were struggling with their wet tyres with the track drying out quickly. The biggest victim of this was Ian Hutchinson whose destroyed tyres meant a fall from third place to eighth on the final few laps.
But there was no such problem for Michael Laverty with his tyres as he held on for the win with Paul Young and Tom Grant making up the rest of the podium.
British Supersport race results:
1. Michael Laverty Suzuki 18:53.493
2. Paul Young Triumph + 1.868
3. Tom Grant Yamaha + 2.306
4. Billy McConnell Yamaha + 3.522
5. Ian Lowry Suzuki + 6.417
6. Martin Jessopp Ducati 9.665
7. Dennis Hobbs Honda + 10.411
8. Ian Hutchinson Honda + 12.308
9. Keith Amor Honda + 13.716
10. Sam Owens Honda + 14.488
11. Craig Fitzpatrick Yamaha + 15.755
12. James Hillier Kawasaki + 16.328
13. Christian Elkin Honda + 16.991
14. Jamie Robinson Honda + 22.040
15. Joe Dickinson Honda + 23.147
16. James Westmorland Honda + 23.868
17. Ben Wylie Yamaha + 25.105
18. Ben Wylie Yamaha + 25.482
19. Craig Sproston Honda + 37.913
20. John Robb Honda + 38.262
21. Glynn Thomas Honda + 38.620
22. Conor O’Brien Honda + 38.656
23. Ben Handley Honda + 39.841
24. Jonny Buckley Yamaha + 45.628
25. Ross Walter Triumph + 46.395
26. Jack Groves Yamaha + 46.799
27. Paul Wishart Honda + 55.969
Alan O’Connor Honda; Daniel Cooper Honda; Aaron Walker Honda; Stuart Easton Kawasaki; John McGuinness Honda; Les Shand Yamaha; Kenny Edwards Suzuki