Ryuichi Kiyonari paddled to victory with conviction at a rain hit Oulton Park for race one of the British Superbike Championship.
The Japanese rider finished more than 20 seconds ahead of second placed Shane Byrne, who stunned Leon Haslam and Chris Walker on the final lap as he flew past them.
HM Plant Honda’s Ryuichi Kiyonari managed to get behind teammate Jonathan Rea at the start, up two places from his grid position.
But the race was soon under caution and the safety car was out for two laps as Yamaha rider Simon Andrews fell off at Shell. Airwaves Ducati's Gregorio Lavilla also crashed out in the wet early on and was run over by one of his fellow competitors.
With racing back on it only took until lap four for Ryuichi Kiyonari to take the lead from Jonathan Rea. From here Kiyonari began to build his lead.
Jonathan Rea slid out of the race at Druids in treacherous conditions on lap seven ending his winning streak with Airwaves Ducati’s Leon Haslam taking second and Hydrex Honda’s Karl Harris third. Rea will now have to see what happens as he fell on to the knee he has just had an operation on.
More riders soon fell victim to the conditions with Yamaha’s Paul Barron off at Druids and Karl Harris came off at Lodge.
Rizla Suzuki’s Chris Walker was the benefactor of Harris’ fall whilst his rookie teammate, Cal Crutchlow was also riding well in fifth.
And so it was down to the veterans, Walker and Stobart Vent Axia Honda’s Shane Byrne to keep the excitement rolling until the end. And this is exactly what happened as Byrne stormed past Walker and Leon Haslam on the last lap for second place.
British Superbike race one results:
1. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Honda 31:03.104
2. Shane Byrne GBR Honda + 20.075
3. Chris Walker GBR Suzuki + 20.890
4. Leon Haslam GBR Ducati + 23.634
5. Cal Crutchlow GBR Suzuki + 29.967
6. Leon Camier GBR Honda + 42.345
7. Scott Smart GBR Kawasaki + 1:24.828
8. Tommy Hill GBR Yamaha + 1:28.272
9. Ollie Bridewell GBR Suzuki + 1:32.318
10. Guy Martin GBR Honda + 1:43.863
11. Tristan Palmer GBR Honda + 1:48.829
12. Malcolm Ashley GBR Kawasaki + 1:48.919
13. Peter Hickman GBR Kawasaki 1 lap
14. Tom Tunstall GBR Honda 1 lap
15. James Buckingham GBR Honda 1 lap
16. Aaron Zanotti GBR Yamaha 1 lap
17. Marty Nutt GBR Yamaha 1 lap