Mallory Park British Superbikes: Torrential rain and accident stops practice
All activity has been suspended at the British Superbike round at Mallory Park due to torrential rain and a serious accident.
The British Supersport riders managed to get their session in under heavy rain with Virgin Media Yamaha’s Billy McConnell going fastest with a best time of 1:04.965.
But as the rain started to fall even heavier the British Superbike session was under threat. The riders were invited to go out for a 20 minute familiarisation session, reduced from the 50 minute scheduled practice, but this was stopped with more than two minutes to go following the serious accident.
The continuous downpour has left standing water and deep puddles on several sections of the Leicestershire circuit.
Stobart Vent Axia’s Shane Byrne topped the timesheets when the session was stopped with a best of 1:04.910 in front of HM Plant Honda’s Jonathan Rea on a 1:05.910.
This is more than nine seconds slower than HM Plant Honda’s Ryuichi Kiyonari’s fastest time from Friday practice last season.
More details will follow on the accident soon.
British superbikes practice one (session stopped):
1. Shane Byrne GBR Honda 1:04.910
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda 1:05.431
3. Karl Harris GBR Honda 1:05.719
4. Tom Sykes GBR Honda 1:05.719
5. Leon Haslam GBR Ducati 1:06.541
6. Tristan Palmer GBR Honda 1:07.331
7. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Honda 1:07.477
8. Ollie Bridewell GBR Suzuki 1:07.752
9. Tommy Hill GBR Yamaha 1:07.896
10. Brian McCormack IRL 1:08.648
11. Lee Jackson GBR 1:08.727
12. Keith Amor GBR Yamaha 1:08.970
13. Malcolm Ashley GBR Kawasaki 1:10.144
14. Gregorio Lavilla ESP Ducati 1:10.278
15. Tom Tunstall GBR Honda 1:10.459
16. Marty Nutt GBR Yamaha 1:10.752
17. Johnson 1:11.440
18. Aaron Zanotti GBR Yamaha 1:13.152
19. Michael Rutter GBR Kawasaki 1:13.225