Oulton Park British Superbikes: Dominant opening day for Karl Harris
Karl Harris followed-up an impressive morning Free Practice session with another time-sheet-topping performance in this afternoons 50-minute practice.
The RM Racing Yamaha rider set a best of 1.37.530 this morning, but bettered that time this afternoon with a 1.36.716.
This afternoon’s session started with a period of light drizzle, but the rain soon passed allowing for a dry track for the majority of FP2.
And it was Harris who took advantage, going to the top of the time sheets with seven minutes of the session remaining with his eventual fastest lap.
Harris was joined in the 1.36’s by Cal Crutchlow, the pole sitter from the last visit to Oulton Park for the third round of the championship back in May.
Crutchow was fastest with a 1.37.196 when Harris demoted him, and chopped three tenths off his own personal best to go into the 1.36 bracket behind Harris.
Shane Byrne completed just ten laps in the afternoon session but managed the third fastest time ahead of Leon Haslam who spent a good portion of the session in the number one spot.
Leon Camier, Tom Sykes, James Ellison and Michael Rutter all continued their good morning performances with potential second row start times.
And behind them Atsushi Watanabe had one of his best opening days of a race weekend with the ninth fastest time, one place in front of Simon Andrews and ahead of Billy McConnell on the MSS Discovery Kawasaki and Michael Laverty on the Relentless Suzuki.
OULTON PARK BRITISH SUPERBIKES FREE PRACTICE 2 RESULTS
1. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 1.36.716
2. Cal Crtuchlow HM Plant Honda 1.36.890
3. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 1.37.142
4. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 1.37.232
5. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 1.37.268
6. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 1.37.314
7. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.37.930
8. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 1.38.340
9. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 1.38.452
10. Simon Andrews Lloyds British Jenitn Yamaha 1.38.464
11. Billy McConnell MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.38.644
12. Michael Laverty Relentess Suzuki 1.38.883
13. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 1.39.175
14. Scott Smart Hawk Kawasaki 1.38.190
15. James Haydon MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.39.377
16. John Laverty Buildbase NW200 Ducati 1.39.517