Snetterton British Superbikes: Shane Byrne back, and on top in free practice three
After missing yesterday’s second free practice session, Shane Byrne is back at Snetterton today and has set the fastest time of the weekend.
Byrne re-established himself as the fastest rider after topping free practice one yesterday with a 1:05.557, but has gone a full three tenths quicker in today’s first 50-minute session after missing session two to be with his girlfriend Petra who was taken to hospital ill but is thankfully okay.
The airwaves Ducati rider's fastest time came as part of a 35-lap stint in the Norfolk sunshine and put him ahead of Tom Sykes’ Rizla Suzuki who has been the second fastest rider in every session so far this weekend.
Airwaves’ Leon Camier proved it wasn’t just Shakey Byrne who could put in the quick times with his fastest lap of the weekend coming this morning in the shape of a 1:05.603 putting him third ahead of second free practice top-man Leon Haslam.
Haslam set a slower time this morning than his 1:05.448 from yesterday but it was still enough to land him the top Honda placing, a fraction ahead of team-mate Cal Crutchlow.
Simon Andrews carried his quality performance from yesterday into today, jumping ahead of fellow Yamaha rider Karl Harris in the late stages of the session before suffering a technical problem with his motorbike his in-lap.
The British Superbike riders will qualify from 3pm this afternoon.
Snetterton British Superbike free practice three results:
1. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 1.05.224
2. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 1.05.541
3. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 1.05.603
4. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 1.05.828
5. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 1.05.845
6. Simon Andrews Jentin Lloyds British Yamaha 1.05.889
7. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 1.06.014
8. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.06.121
9. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 1.06.196
10. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 1.06.199
11. Stuart Easton MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.06.266
12. Billy McConnell MSS Discovery Kawasaki 1.06.353
13. Gary Mason (Cup) Quay Garage Honda 1.06.474
14. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 1.06.599
15. Scott Smart Hawk Kawasaki 1.06.725
16. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 1.06.760