Mallory Park British Superbikes: Shane Byrne takes win despite colliding with Michael Laverty
Shane Byrne collided with Michael Laverty at the hairpin after Leon Haslam tried to pass Laverty on the brakes but ran wide and also sent Laverty wide.
Byrne then tried to go up the inside of Laverty, but Laverty was able to cut back in, sandwiching Byrne between him and the wall.
HM Plant Honda rider Cal Crutchlow got the hole shot from the start and held off the competition for the majority of the race until team-mate Leon Haslam out-braked Crutchlow going in to the hairpin on lap 18.
Cal Crutchlow said: "I was disappointed not to win after leading for so long. Mallory is my home circuit and it's also one of my favourites. Hopefully we'll go two places better in the next race."
Shane Byrnes team-mate Leon Camier crashed out of the race at the first corner and was unable to restart.
Michael Laverty, who qualified second on the grid behind Tom Sykes was running in the leading group and in the early stages of the race was sitting in second, until he crashed out on lap 28.
Pole position man Tom Sykes finished in fourth place.
Michael Rutter high-sided on lap 28. Rutter was running in the middle of the pack after he was forced to start from the back of the grid.
MSS Discovery Kawasaki riders Scott Smart and replacement James Haydon failed to finish the race after Smart had mechanical problems and Haydon crashed out.
Karl Harris also failed to finish after the radiator on his Yamaha R1 holed.
Byrne said after the race: "I think this meeting is great. Everything's good but I hate the track.
"I'm delighted for Airwaves Ducati because this track doesn't suit my style. I'll try and lead from the front in the second race because it's chaos coming from the back!"
1. Shane Byrne GBR Airwaves Ducati 30 laps
2. Leon Haslam GBR HM Plant Honda +1.024secs
3. Cal Crutchlow GBR HM Plant Honda +1.147secs
4. Tom Sykes GBR Rizla Suzuki +1.355secs
5. James Ellison GBR Hydrex Bike Animal Honda +11.302secs
6. Billy McConnell AUS MSS Discovery Kawasaki +17.149secs
7. Simon Andrews GBR Lloyds Jentin Yamaha +18.252secs
8. Tristan Palmer GBR Tena for Men Honda +19.761secs
9. Atsushi Watanabe JPN Rizla Suzuki +26.433secs
10. John Laverty GBR NW200 Ducati (CUP) +27.593secs
11. Michael Laverty GBR Relentless TAS Suzuki +33.981secs
12. David Johnson AUS Maxxis Honda +46.927secs
13. Gary Mason GBR Quay Garage (CUP) +47.134secs
14. Dean Ellison GBR Co-ordit Racing Yamaha +58.827secs
15. Chris Burns GBR STP MV Agusta +1min 00.131secs
15. Guy Martin GBR Hydrex Bike Animal Honda +1 lap
16. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Racing Honda (CUP) +1 lap
17. Aaron Zanotti GBR Red Viper Honda +1 lap
18. Malcolm Ashley GBR MAR Adept Kawasaki (CUP) +1 lap
19. Tom Tunstall GBR Hardinge/Ice Valley Honda (CUP) +1 lap
20. Leon Morris GBR Trimite Brookspeed Ducati (CUP) +1 lap
Rtd. Michael Rutter GBR NW 200 Ducati 27 laps completed
Rtd. James Haydon GBR MSS Discovery Kawasaki 12 laps completed
Rtd. Sean Emmett GBR SMT Honda 12 laps completed
Rtd. Scott Smart GBR Hawk Kawasaki 11 laps completed
Rtd. Karl Harris GBR Team Yamaha 9 laps completed
Rtd. Leon Camier GBR Airwaves Ducati 0 laps completed