Mallory Park British Superbikes: Cal Crutchlow continues top weekend form
Cal Crutchlow has topped the second dry free practice session of the weekend at Mallory Park.
The HM Plant Honda rider set the fastest lap with a 56.454 in the last five minutes of the 50-minute morning session.
Crutchlow, who refers to Mallory Park as his local circuit, was already leading Shane Byrne in the session by 0.021 of a second, but marginally extended that lead in the closing stages to 0.030 of a second.
The Coventry rider popped in an initial fastest time of 56.803 to go to the head of the time sheets in the first eight minutes.
But five minutes later he was demoted back to second by the championship leader Shane Byrne aboard the Airwaves Ducati.
The session was red flagged mid-way through when Leon Morris went down at the Stebbe Straight round the back of the circuit on his Daily Star Cup Ducati machine.
After the re-start the second position battle reshuffled with Crutchlow being pushed down by Leon Camier and later Tom Sykes.
But with eight minutes left on the clock Crutchlow closed within 0.011 of a second of Byrne’s fastest time, before taking the top spot himself.
In fact, the top 13 places were covered by a second, and two seconds split first from 21st fastest.
Billy McConnell maintained his good form from yesterday to seventh quickest on his MSS Discovery Kawasaki with makeshift team-mate James Haydon still finding his feet in 14th with his replacement ride for the injured Stuart Easton.
And Tristan Palmer continued his best form of the season, after setting the second fastest time in yesterday’s wet practice session, to keep his name amongst the top ten.
British Superbikes Free Practice 3 results
1. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 56.464
2. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 56.494
3. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 56.624
4. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 56.708
5. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 56.807
6. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 56.821
7. Billy McConnell MS Discover Kawasaki 56.860
8. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 56.941
9. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 57.094
10. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 57.171
11. Scott Smart Hawk Kawasaki 57.316
12. Simon Andrews Lloyds British Jentin Yamaha 57.402
13. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 57.503
14. James Haydon MSS Discovery Kawasaki 57.513
15. John Laverty NW200 Buildbase Ducati 57.608
16. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 57.854