Brands Hatch British Superbikes: Shane Byrne romps to win in race one
Shane Byrne took the win in race one at Brands Hatch British Superbikes today.
Starting from pole, Byrne was beaten by HM Plant's Cal Crutchlow into turn one, and Crutchlow lead until lap two.
Heading up to Druids, Byrne dived underneath Crutchlow and didn't look back.
Further back from the Crutchlow in second, Hydrex Bike Animal Honda's James Ellison lead Leon Haslam who was just ahead of Leon Camier.
Rizla Suzuki's Tom Sykes followed Camier round, closely pursued by TAS Relentless Suzuki rider, Michael Laverty and North West 200 Ducati's Michael Rutter.
By lap seven, Byrne had increased the gap to 0.8s and on lap eight, Byrne set the fastest lap of the race with a 46.194.
Crutchlow wasn't giving up and took 0.4 out of Shakey's lead on lap nine, and by lap 10 the gap was down to just 0.2.
Byrne got the hurry up from his pit-board and took 0.1 out of Crutchlow for five laps in succession, increasing the gap to over a second by lap 15.
Lap 13 saw Leon Haslam close the gap to James Ellison to just 0.2, Haslam wasn't close enough to make the pass, and saw Ellison regain time in the following laps.
Byrne's lead was consistent at the front, and hovered constantly around the 1s mark.
Leon Haslam again tried in vain to catch James Ellison, reducing the gap to just 0.1 on lap 23 where it stayed until lap 26, where Haslam again reduced the deficit to just 0.086.
Haslam's work was un-done on lap 27, when Ellison increased the gap back to 0.3 and all but ended Haslam's hope of a podium finish.
It was a painful end to the race for TAS Relentless and Michael Laverty, a mishap on lap 27 saw Laverty's eighth position slip away.
A deserved winner, Byrne was fastest on 15 of the 30 laps, and finished the race with the individual fastest lap of 46.194.
Crutchlow followed Byrne to the line to claim his 12th podium of the season.
Leon Haslam valliantly fought to the line, but was unable to stop James Ellion claiming 16 points for the Hydrex Bike Animal Honda team, finishing in fourth.
Taking part in his 300th race, Michael Rutter took the flag in seventh, ahead of Simon Andrews and a superb ride from Rob Mac replacement rider, Jon Kirkham.
1. Shane Byrne Airwaves Ducati 23.21.717
2. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 23.23.609
3. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 23.23.861
4. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 23.23.907
5. Leon Camier Airwaves Ducati 23.27.464
6. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 23.28.276
7. Michael Rutter North West 200 Ducati 23.41.052
8. Simon Andrews Lloyds British Jentin Yamaha 23.41.719
9. Jon Kirkham Rob Mac Racing Yamaha 23.45.245
10. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 23.46.958
11. Gary Mason Quay Garage Honda 23.46.975
12. Billy McConnell MSS Discovery Kawasaki 23.48.052
13. John Laverty Buildbase North West 200 Ducati 23.48.052
14. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 23.53.059
15. Jason O'Halloran SMT Honda 23.58.862
16. Guy Martin Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 23.58.902