Brands Hatch BSB: Shane Byrne takes race one win
HM Plant Honda rider Shane Byrne has continued his dominance of the first race weekend of 2011 at the Brands Hatch Indy circuit with victory in the first race.
Byrne got the holeshot from the start and led the race ahead of team-mate Ryuichi Kiyonari, who unfortunately had to retire after eight laps with a technical problem.
Swan Yamaha rider Michael Laverty soon moved up to first after sitting Byrne up on the start finish straight and looked comfortable ahead of Byrne and team-mate Tommy Hill, but Laverty high-sided at Clearways on lap 11, Byrne and Hill narrrowly missing the rider as he slid down the track.
The pace car was brought out and allowed everyone to bunch up for the second half of the race. Byrne, still in the lead was briefly relegated to second by Stuart Easton, but the Honda rider re-took the lead and pulled away from Easton.
Tommy Hill had to fight his way through the pack to finish second behind Byrne, with Tommy Bridewell in tow, finishing in an impressive third place.
Josh Brookes found himself in second place after the pace car, but crashed at Paddock Hill. BSB newcomer John Hopkins ran off the track before the pace car but was able to get back out on track to finish just outside the points in 17th.
1 Shane Byrne GBR HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR 23mins 47.412s 30 laps
2. Tommy Hill GBR Swan Yamaha YZF-R1 +1.154s
3. Tommy Bridewell GBR Tyco Honda CBR1000RR +2.657s
4. Stuart Easton GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki ZX-10R +2.764s
5. Jon Kirkham GBR Samsung Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +3.408s
6. Michael Rutter GBR Rapid-Bathams Ducati 1098R +4.310s
7. Loris Baz FRA Motorpoint Yamaha YZF-R1 +4.496s
8. Dan Linfoot GBR Sorrymate.com SMT Honda CBR1000RR +5.090s
9. Martin Jessopp GBR Rapid-Bathams Ducati 1098R +5.100s
10. Chris Walker GBR Pr1mo Kawasaki ZX-10R +7.728s
11. Glen Richards AUS WFR Honda CBR1000RR +7.920s (E)
12. Alex Lowes GBR WFR Honda CBR1000RR +9.673s (E)
13. Peter Hickman GBR Tyco Honda CBR1000RR +12.501s
14. Steve Brogan GBR Jentin Honda CBR1000RR +12.801s
15. Simon Andrews GBR PR Kawasaki ZX-10R +14.655s (E)
16. Guy Martin GBR Relentless Suzuki GSX-R1000 +14.655s
17. John Hopkins USA Samsung Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 +15.965s
18. Gary Mason GBR MSS Colchester Kawasaki ZX-10R +18.784s
19. Patric Muff SUI Tyco Honda CBR1000RR +19.777s (E)
20. James Hillier GBR Bournemouth Kawasaki ZX-10R +21.276s (E)
21. Barry Burrell GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR +22.080s (E)
22. Aaron Zanotti GBR Quattro Plant Spike BMW S1000RR +22.180s (E)
23. Craig Fitzpatrick GBR Close Print Honda CBR1000RR +22.286s (E)
24. Scott Smart GBR Moto Rapido Ducati 1098R +22.681s (E)
25. Tom Tunstall GBR Doodson Honda CBR1000RR +29.468s (E)