BSB Brands Hatch: Hill takes pole
Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) took pole position in qualifying at Brands Hatch this afternoon, setting the fastest lap early on in the final session. Samsung Crescent Suzuki rider John Hopkins put in a strong challenge in the final minutes of the session, but was unable to improve on second place.
Swan Yamaha rider Michael Laverty went fastest in the first practice session, but was unable to match Hill's pace in the second and final sessions and will start from third on the grid. Kawasaki WSB rider Joan Lascorz completes the front row, having improved his times to initially lead the final session, topping the timesheet before being displaced by Hill.
Championship leader Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) qualified in fifth place, ahead of Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati riders Martin Jessopp and Michael Rutter who will start from sixth and seventh respectively. James Westmoreland (Motorpoint Yamaha) completes the second row in eighth, whilst Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) and Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) complete the top ten.
Broc Parkes, Josh Brookes and Ryuichi Kiyonari surprisingly dropped out of the second session, finishing in eleventh, thirteenth and eighteenth respectively.
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 1m:25.357s
2. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +0.047s
3. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +0.244s
4. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki WSB) +0.470s
5. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +0.579s
6. Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +0.630s
7. Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +0.823s
8. James Westmoreland (Motorpoint Yamaha) +0.851s
9. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +1.128s
10. Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +1.326s