Shane Byrne has been left battered and bruised after a testing crash at Spain’s Almeria circuit. The PBM Kawasaki rider crashed fast at the circuit’s turn six in the final session of the day.
Spending most of the day doing development work on the team’s ZX-10R, the defending MCE British Superbike champion was running third fastest behind BSB rookies Luke Mossey and Lee Jackson when the crash occurred.
After being assessed by the medics at the circuit medical centre, Byrne was transferred to a local hospital for further assessment on injuries to his hand and ankle. The team, scheduled for a further day’s testing tomorrow at Almeria followed by four more at Cartagena directly after, will now decide overnight as to their plans.
Mossey, on the Quattro Plant Kawasaki, continued to top the timesheets for his second day, with the BSB rookie only 0.014 faster than his rookie rival Lee Jackson. Byrne was a further 0.1 behind, with the quadruple champion instead focusing on testing new components on the PBM Kawasaki.
- Luke Mossey Quattro Plant Kawasaki 1:37.3
- Lee Jackson Buildbase BMW 1:37.4 +0.014
- Shane Byrne PBM Kawasaki 1:37.4 +0.104
- Stuart Easton PBM Kawasaki 1:38.0 +0.648
- Ian Hutchinson PBM Kawasaki 1:38.3 +0.984
- Dan Johnson Morello Kawasaki 1:38.3 +1.007
- Victor Cox Morello Kawasaki 1:38.6 +1.240
- Howie Mainwaring Quattro Plant Kawasaki 1:38.8 +1.454