Shane 'Shakey' Byrne emerged victorious in the second MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship race at Snetterton, holding off Dan Linfoot to claim the win and with it take a four point lead in the overall standings.
Byrne had fired the Be Wiser Ducati off the pole position to lead into Riches for the first time, but behind race one winner Jason O'Halloran, Leon Haslam, Michael Laverty and Linfoot were all queuing up to try and take the advantage.
Haslam moved up to second on the opening lap with a move on O’Halloran at Brundle and then Laverty also pushed the Australian back a further place to fourth. His team-mate Linfoot was determined after missing out on the victory in race one and a determined move at the end of the Bentley Straight and as they crossed the line to start lap four Linfoot was up to second.
At the front it became a battle between Byrne and Linfoot, with the Honda Racing rider trying to make a move, but the four-time champion was holding him off as behind the trio of Haslam, Laverty and O’Halloran was scrapping for the final podium position.
Haslam had been defending hard but on the tenth lap Laverty made a committed pass at Murrays, however as the trio crossed the finish line, the Tyco BMW maintained a narrow advantage from O’Halloran and Haslam. The ‘Pocket Rocket’ responded instantly, fighting back into fourth place and targeting Laverty ahead of him, however when Jenny Tinmouth crashed on the entry to Nelson unhurt, the race was red flagged.
Byrne had done enough to hold off Linfoot with Laverty claiming the final podium position from Haslam and O’Halloran, who moves up to third in the overall standings. Christian Iddon secured a strong sixth place despite a finger injury after a duel with rookie Glenn Irwin who equalled his best result of seventh place.
Hickman claimed eighth place ahead of Danny Buchan and Tommy Bridewell who completed the top ten. It was another disappointing race for James Ellison who retired his JG Speedfit Kawasaki.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Snetterton, race two result:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati)
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.562s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +3.943s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +4.070s
- Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) +4.505s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +9.723s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +9.828s
- Peter Hickman (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +10.241s
- Danny Buchan (Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati) +11.829s
- Tommy Bridewell (Bennetts Suzuki) +12.266s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings:
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 156
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 152
- Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) 116
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) 111
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) 104
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase BMW) 98
Looking for the perfect two-wheeled companion? Visit MCN Bikes For Sale website or use MCN's Bikes For Sale App.