Luke Mossey held off Suzuki’s Bradley Ray by just 0.005 seconds to top Thursday’s official Bennetts British Superbike test at Snetterton.
Mossey’s JG Speedfit Kawasaki team-mate Leon Haslam had been the rider to beat in the morning, but a technical problem midway through the final session saw his day brought to an early end leaving him fourth on the timesheets.
A strong day for Ray on the Suzuki saw him round out the times just 0.005 seconds off his Kawasaki rival, while Michael Laverty finished third quickest.
It was a strong test for OMG Racing Suzuki’s Gino Rea who was fifth quickest ahead of McAMS Yamaha’s rookie Tarran Mackenzie, who rounded out the top six ahead of Danny Buchan and team-mate Josh Brookes. Richard Cooper and Sylvain Barrier completed the top ten.
The test saw a depleted grid with many teams and riders over at the North West 200, while the Honda Racing squad were absent with both Dan Linfoot and Jason O’Halloran out for injury.
The day got off to a negative start with champion Shane Byrne crashing out at turn three in the opening session. After initial checks in the circuit medical centre, he was transferred to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for further assessment and scans. It has been confirmed he is conscious and alert but remains under observation and is receiving treatment for neck and back injuries.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Snetterton official test, combined times:
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:48.008s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.005s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +0.102s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.301s
- Gino Rea (OMG Racing Suzuki) +0.713s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.880s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +1.009s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +1.025s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +1.062s
- Sylvain Barrier (Smiths Racing BMW) +1.459s