KR delays quit threat
Kenny Roberts will continue to run his MotoGP squad until the middle of the 2007 season at least despite fears that a money crisis could see the American legend quit after two races.
Speaking to motorcyclenews.com on the second day of the IRTA test in Jerez, the triple world champion said he would compete until mid-season, though he added he would make a final decision on his immediate future tomorrow when winter testing concludes.
Last week Roberts, who runs his MotoGP out of Banbury in England, said he was seriously considering quitting after the second race of the season in Jerez on March 25 unless he found investment to cover a 20 per cent deficit in his ’07 budget.
Roberts confirmed interest in backing Team Roberts was at a record level, yet he still had no official commitment from several interested parties,
“With just a little bit more help we’d probably make the whole season no problem but we’ll definitely race for the first half of the season, “said Roberts, who for a second year in succession has built his own MotoGP machine around an engine leased from Honda.
See more on the Team Roberts situation in Wednesday’s MCN, out on February 28, 2007.