MotoGP Phillip Island test: Day 1 roundup
Colin Edwards continued his impressive pace for his new Tech 3 Yamaha team by topping to the time sheets on day one of this week’s official MotoGP test in Phillip Island Australia.
Edwards used his intimate knowledge of the flowing Phillip Island circuit to go fastest despite not being on the new, more powerful 2008 Yamaha engine used by factory Yamaha men Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo in Sepang last week. Rossi and Lorenzo aren’t testing in Australia but will be back on track in Sepang next week.
Reigning World Champion Casey Stoner finished second fastest, but unlike Edwards who used a qualifying tyre, Stoner set his best lap on race rubber.
The battle of the MotoGP rookies was raging on day one with surprise candidate Alex De Angelis third, followed by Andrea Dovizioso. Britain's James Toseland put in a strong performance at a track he knows well to claim fifth.
Italian Marco Melandri appeared to turn a corner on his Ducati setting the sixth fastest time after making a nightmare debut in previous tests.
1. Colin Edwards USA Yamaha Tech 3 1min 29.566 secs
2. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 30.178 secs
3. Alex de Angelis RSM Honda Gresini 1min 30.688 secs
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot 1min 30.701 secs
5. James Toseland GBR Yamaha Tech 3 1min 30.864 secs
6. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 30.869 secs
7. Shinya Nakano JPN Honda Gresini 1min 31.111 secs
8. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team 1min 31.226 secs
9. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 31.274 secs
10. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 31.317 secs
11. Randy de Puniet FRA Honda LCR 1min 31.436 secs
12. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team 1min 31.623 secs
13. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team 1min 31.786 secs
14. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team 1min 32.484 secs
15. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team 1min 32.573 secs