Indianapolis MotoGP: West sets wet provisional pole
The new Indianapolis circuit had posed some concerns for a few MotoGP riders before they rode it but despite the torrential rain conditions the track seems to have gone down well, with wet weather specialist Anthony West putting has Kawasaki ZX-RR at the top of the time sheets on the first day.
Several riders had voiced concerns about the tight track, lack of run-off and slipy new tarmac but that all disappeared when the first day of practice got underway.
The morning session provided the times that set the provisional grid with the afternoon second practice being beset by even heavier rain leaving Anthony West to sit on provisional pole overnight.
Alex De-Angelis put in a good show on his satellite Honda to take the second fastest time on day one, with Casey Stoner putting a big highside behind him to take the third best time of the day.
Some big name riders did struggle though, with Valentino Rossi 11th, Colin Edwards 15th and Dani Pedrosa 19th.
Despite finishing so low Pedrosa was the only rider to improve on his time in the afternoon as he gets uses to the new Bridgestone tyres and the new Pneumatic valve engine in his Honda.
1. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing 1'53.034
2. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'53.151
3. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro 1'53.190
4. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot MotoGP 1'53.704
5. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing 1'53.715
6. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki 1'53.771
7. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'53.850
8. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda 1'53.931
9. Ben Spies (USA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'54.297
10. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Team 1'54.616
11. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'54.795
12. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'55.072
13. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'55.074
14. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro 1'55.292
15. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'55.731
16. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team 1'56.125
17. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'56.271
18. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'56.345
19. Dani Pedrosa (SP) Repsol Honda 1'56.782