Cal Crutchlow better off in WSB for 2011
Cal Crutchlow would be better off delaying his switch to MotoGP until 2012, according to a leading Yamaha boss.
The British rider has become hot property since he won both races at the Silverstone WSB round earlier this month and Crutchlow is close to clinching a deal to replace Ben Spies in the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad for 2011.
Crutchlow was made a verbal offer by Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal during the previous race at Brno in the Czech Republic and seems destined to ride a YZR-M1 next season despite big interest too from Suzuki’s factory MotoGP squad.
Yamaha’s World Superbike management are desperate to keep the 24-year-old on a factory R1 for 2011.
And now senior boss Lin Jarvis has told MCN he would prefer to see Crutchlow remain for another season in World Superbikes.
Jarvis said: “Cal has an offer to stay in World Superbikes and Yamaha would like him to stay in WSB for one more year.
"He doesn’t have an obligation to stay and I know that he has a burning personal desire to arrive in MotoGP sooner or later, probably sooner is his intention.
"At the end of the day the choice is his and Herve Poncharal’s and whichever decision he makes he will be supported in that decision. This is purely my personal feeling but I think he would benefit from another year in World Superbikes.
"I’d like to see him translate his speed into more consistent winning results before making the move.
"That’s what I would recommend to him if he asked me. But if he feels he wants to move now and feels he is ready then we will support him if he wants to do that.”
For the full interview with Jarvis including thoughts on Yamaha’s future without Ducati bound Valentino Rossi, see today’s (August 25) issue of MCN.