Loris Capirossi unfazed by Suzuki engine delay
Loris Capirossi has shrugged off Suzuki’s surprise failure to roll out its 2010 factory GSV-R motor in Sepang earlier this month.
The veteran Italian, poised to make his 300th Grand Prix appearance when the new season kicks off in Qatar on April 11, has blasted the severe reduction in testing to just six days.
Yet Suzuki completed two of those without its new V4 engine, with Capirossi instead evaluating two new chassis using last year’s motor in Malaysia.
But the former world 125GP and 250GP champion told MCN: “They said it was too early to bring and they had to continue working on the dyno and running at the test track in Japan.
"The plan is to have minimum the same power as last year but with more durability.
"Last year was not easy for us but already we have tested a lot on the dyno and it has been good.”
He added that he was confident Suzuki would have achieved reliability while not sacrificing performance with the GSV-R engine.
Suzuki was the only factory to fall foul of the new engine restrictions in MotoGP last season.
Only five engine were allowed to be used for the final seven races, but Capirossi had major reliability issues and was forced to start from the back of the grid in Australia for going over his allocation.
Durability is going to be a key factor in 2010 with further cost-cutting measure meaning a rider can only use six engines for the whole season.
Asked by MCN whether he was confident Suzuki will have the power and durability, Capirossi said: “For me yes because they have checked many different materials and they have found one really strong and I am confident in the reliability.
"But this new rule is not easy for anybody and I think in my opinion that a lot of times on Friday the rider will make a shakedown for a couple of laps and then stay in the box.”