Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner has continued his dominance of the 2011 MotoGP season with pole position at Jerez.
The Aussie took pole position within the last moments of the session before dropping his bike in the gravel at turn one.
Team-mate Dani Pedrosa was unable to better Stoner's time despite several very close laps at the end of the session. Pedrosa will start from second on the grid.
Champion Jorge Lorenzo will start from third on the grid after holding pole position for the majority of the session. Team-mate Ben Spies will head the second row in fourth.
Valentino Rossi continued to struggle on the Ducati and could ony manage to post the 12th fastest time after crashing at turn eight only 10 minutes into the session.
Tech 3 Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow will start from ninth on the grid behind team-mate Colin Edwards in eighth.
1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda Team 1m 38.757s
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 1m 38.915s
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 38.918s
4. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 39.390s
5. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 39.486s
6. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 1m 39.709s
7. Randy de Puniet FRA Pramac Racing Team 1m 39.892s
8. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 39.895s
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 40.019s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 40.168s
11. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 1m 40.175s
12. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 1m 40.185s
13. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar Team 1m 40.217s
14. John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1m 40.310s
15. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing Team 1m 40.523s
16. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 1m 40.601s
17. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda MotoGP 1m 41.114s