Paul Bird submits 2012 MotoGP bid
Paul Bird’s bid to move to the MotoGP world championship in 2012 moved a step closer yesterday (Wednesday).
Bird, who lost the contract to run Kawasaki’s factory World Superbike squad for next season, e-mailed his plans to run a one-rider team in MotoGP next season to the International Race Teams Association in Phillip Island.
Bird held positive meetings with Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta at last month’s Motorland Aragon race and since he’s been working on plans to run an all-British effort in MotoGP.
He has held talks with Aprilia about leasing an RSV4 motor but he has not yet been able to confirm what machinery he intends to run next season and he hasn’t nominated a rider, though he has adamant it will be a Briton.
Bird's current Kawasaki WSB rider Tom Sykes, Leon Camier and newly crowned Brtish Superbike champion Tommy Hill have all been linked with Bird's squad.
IRTA boss Mike Trimby told MCN in Australia: “We have received his application. I’ve e-mailed it to Dorna and we will discuss it over the course of the weekend. Initially it was for one rider next year with the idea of moving to two in the future. He’s nominated the whole crew but not the rider yet. And he hasn’t nominated his machinery yet, so I assume he’s still in negotiation about that."
Bird has already been told by Dorna management that he will be offered a place on the 2012 grid.